DMV Legal Notice and Disclaimer
You have logged on to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) web site. This web site is designed to facilitate the distribution of information to and from the public regarding the functions of the DMV. This web site is designed to actively encourage and promote the free exchange of information, ideas, and opinions, except when the content will violate proprietary rights, personal privacy, constitutes a crime or libel or applicable state/federal/local laws and/or regulations affecting telecommunications.
Please note and understand your responsibilities as a "user", as they apply to the following disclaimers and policies for the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the State of California.
- You agree not to use the web site for any illegal purpose or activity, or to discuss or advocate any illegal activities, whether in private or in public. You agree not to do anything on the web site that may damage the computer hardware, software, or data files, or the web site operation in any way.
- You agree that no liability of any kind for any matters relating directly or indirectly to your use, or the use of anyone else, whether authorized or not, of this computer system and web site, will or can be imposed on the system operator, the DMV or anyone employed with the DMV or the State of California.
- You agree to hold harmless and to indemnify the system operator, the DMV, the State of California and anyone employed by DMV or the State of California from any and all liability and damage directly or indirectly to any person, firm, corporation or other entity, arising out of the use of this web site or computer system.
- If you linked to the Department of Motor Vehicles' (DMV) website from a private website, please note that the DMV does not endorse, promote, or imply any affiliation, sponsorship, approval of goods or services, or commercial activities related to goods or services, or any opinions expressed by the private website. You understand that DMV, unless statutorily required, has no continuing obligation to provide information on its web site. The location of information may change as menus and homepages are reorganized. Content that is free and publicly available may one day be eliminated, restricted or require a fee. In addition, neither DMV nor the State of California is responsible for the content of files which are uploaded for inclusion. The user assumes full responsibility for the files he/she uploads and/or downloads and/or views including data destroyed by viruses or other computer initiated problems.
- You further explicitly acknowledge that all information and software obtained on this web site is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, and that the entire risk of acting on information obtained from this web site, including the entire costs of all necessary remedies, is with those who choose to act on such information and not the DMV or State of California. DMV does not warrant that the service will be uninterrupted or error free.
- You agree that a disclaimer for liability applies to all claims for damages or injury, including, but not limited to: failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, or unauthorized access to or alteration of data, whether for breach of contract, tortious behavior, negligence or under any other cause of action.
- You acknowledge that messages may be offensive in content and agree not to bring any action of any kind against either the system operators or other users of the system as a result of the messages and their content available on this web site.
- We request that you do not post offensive messages or encourage others to do so.
- Pursuant to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (18 U.S.C. 2510, et seq.), notice is hereby given that there are no facilities provided by this web site for sending or receiving truly private or confidential electronic communications.
- You agree that all information and files uploaded to the web site by a user shall not require any remuneration from or to the sender. All information and files shall become public property. Uploaded information and files for which monetary remuneration is requested will be removed and discarded.
- You agree to adhere to these policies and notify the system operator (dmvwebmaster@ dmv.ca.gov) immediately when you discover any violations of these rules. If you are not prepared to abide by the policies of the Legal Affairs Division, DMV, please log off now.
The design and interpretation of the above legal notice and resolution of disputes are governed by the laws of the State of California.
The information on this web site is provided only for the convenience of the user. While DMV strives to make the information as timely and complete as possible, no representation or warranty is made that the information contained in this web site or updates, is correct or that the material reflects currently accurate information. DMV thus assumes no responsibility for erroneous, incomplete or out-of-date information. The user should contact DMV to insure that the information herein is current and accurate.
The user should not rely on the presentation of statutes or regulations referenced in this web site, but should consult the actual text of the law. Legal requirements frequently change and the user should seek the advice of counsel.