Commercial Requester Information Handbook
Federal legislation, the Drivers Privacy Protection Act (Title 18, United States Code, Section 2721-2725), makes confidential any information contained in a motor vehicle record unless the information is requested and used for a permissible use. A permissible use includes:
1. Government/Law Enforcement Agent For use by any private person or entity acting on behalf of a Federal, State or local agency in carrying out the functions of the government/law enforcement entity.
2. Motor Vehicle or Drivers Safety and Theft - For use in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft; motor vehicle emissions; motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or advisories; performing monitoring of motor vehicles; motor vehicle parts and dealers; motor vehicle market research activities, including survey research; removal of non-owner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers.
3. Legitimate Business For Purposes of Preventing Fraud For use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its agents, employees, or contractors but only to verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by an individual to the business, its agents, employees or contractors; and if information as so submitted is not correct or is no longer correct, to obtain the correct information but only for the purposes of preventing fraud by pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or security interest against an individual.
4. Civil, Criminal, Administrative or Arbitral Processing - For use in connection with any civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitral proceeding in any Federal, State, or local court or agency, or before any self-regulatory body including service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and the execution or enforcement of judgments and orders, or pursuant to an order of a Federal, State or local court.
5. Research and Statistical Reports - For use in research activities, in producing statistical reports so long as the personal information is not published, re-disclosed or used to contact individuals.
6. Insurance Purposes - For use by an insurer or insurance support organization, or by a self-insured entity, its agents, employees or contractors, or in connection with claims investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting.
7. Towed or Impounded Vehicles For use in providing notice to owners of towed or impounded vehicles.
8. Private Investigator/Security Service - For use by any licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service for any purpose permitted under this section.
9. Any Other Use Specifically Authorized Under California Law For any other use specifically authorized under the law of the State that holds the record if such use is related to the operation of a motor vehicle or public safety as long as an authorizing statute can be cited.