Our Core Values
- Honesty and integrity
- Commitment to serve the public
- Respect and consideration for each other, our customers, and the environment
- Accuracy and quality in all our products and services
We strive to be a trusted leader in delivering innovative DMV services.
We proudly serve the public by licensing drivers, registering vehicles, securing identities, and regulating the motor vehicle industry.
Our Core Functions
- Driver License and Identification (DL/ID) Card Program
We test and issue DLs to qualified drivers, provide ID services to the public, and verify the identity of DL/ID card holders.
- Vehicle Titling and Registration Program
We issue titles and register automobiles, trailers, and vessels, as well as commercial vehicles used for both interstate and intrastate commerce.
- Driver Safety Program
We promote traffic safety by monitoring and evaluating the driving performance of licensed drivers.
- Licensing of the Motor Vehicle Industry
We license and regulate the occupations and businesses related to the manufacture, transport, sale, and disposal of vehicles.
Our Support Functions
- Administrative Services
We are responsible for budgetary and fiscal management, contract and procurement processes, human resources management, facilities and properties management, and mail operations and printing services.
- Revenue Collection Distribution
Annually, DMV collects and tracks over $7 billion in revenue which is distributed to other state agencies, local government, and California’s General Fund.
- Information Technology (IT) Services
We also provide programming, installation, and maintenance for DMV’s complex and unique IT systems.
- Enforcement Services
DMV conducts auditing, monitoring, inspecting, and investigative services on the internal and external entities related to our core programs.
- Enterprise Risk Management
We provide an independent assessment of the DMV’s enterprise through risk management, oversight, enterprise planning, auditing, and privacy.
How Big is DMV?
- Locations: 231
- Employees: 9,527
- *Registered Vehicles: 33,768,367
- *DL/ID Cards: 29,067,936
- **Total Transactions: 76,659,686
- Auto Clubs: 175
- Business Partner Sites: 4,389
*Statistics as of January 1, 2016
**Includes all transactions across all available service channels including field offices, online, and contact centers
Where Does the Money Go?
- Local Government (cities/counties): 41.54%
- California Highway Patrol (CHP): 27.32%
- DMV: 14.60%
- State Highways (CalTrans): 13.20%
- California Air Resources Board (CARB): 1.76%
- General Fund: 1.76%
- Environmental Agencies: 0.52%
- Department of Justice (DOJ): 0.35%
- Other State Agencies: 0.03%
*Based on 2014 fees. Fees are subject to law changes. California Vehicle Code, California Harbors and Navigation Code, California Civil Code, California Government Code, California Health and Safety Code, California Code of Civil Procedures, and California Revenue and Taxation Code sections noted for reference.
The State of California is home to one of the most diverse populations in the country. Customer service is at the heart of everything we do.
We will enhance customers’ interactions with DMV by implementing innovative tools and technology that expand our online offerings and provide quality in-person services.
- Communicate DMV’s services and successes.
- Redefine the customer experience by offering convenient, innovative, and virtual service options.
A skilled and dedicated workforce is critical to the success of our organization. We will improve the way we build our talented workforce, provide opportunities for growth and leadership, and invest in a culture that maximizes the knowledge, experience, and diversity that each employee brings to work every day.
- Enhance our workforce and succession plan.
- Provide professional development opportunities.
- Apply best practices in the hiring and selection process.
- Enhance our recruitment efforts.
We take fraud very seriously.
We aim to understand and eliminate the opportunity for fraud and to create a culture of integrity, honesty, and transparency.
We will enhance DMV’s awareness and knowledge of fraud and implement measures to detect, investigate, and eliminate fraud to protect consumers and maintain the highest public trust.
We will ensure that every driver on our roadways is properly licensed and every vehicle is properly registered.
- Educate our workforce and the public about fraud.
- Implement fraud prevention measures.
Technology is integral to our daily activities. We will create and implement business processes and technological changes to ensure the sustainability and modernization of our current systems. We will implement new technology to help us deliver the best service possible and meet the changing business needs of DMV, our partners, and our customers.
- Document systems and business processes.
- Improve business processes.
- Modernize our systems.
We will provide our employees with the tools, technology, and resources to help them perform at their best. We will also design and maintain our facilities to deliver outstanding service to our customers and our partners.
- Provide our employees with the technology and equipment necessary to do their jobs.
- Improve our facilities infrastructure.
California Department of Motor Vehicles
Enterprise Risk Management Division
2415 First Avenue, MS F500
Sacramento, CA 95818
Gavin Newsom, Governor
State of California
David S. Kim, Secretary
California State Transportation Agency
Steve Gordon, Director
Department of Motor Vehicles