Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California (SR-1)

Report a traffic accident by filing an SR-1.

Before you begin:

  1. Gather the following information / documents:

    • Your driver’s license or identification (DL/ID) card
    • Your vehicle’s license plate number or vehicle identification number (VIN)
    • Your vehicle’s insurance information
    • Other party’s vehicle and insurance information, if applicable
  2. You or your insurance agent, broker, or legal representative must complete an SR-1 report and send it to DMV within 10 days if someone is injured (no matter how minor the injury) or killed, or property damage is over $1000.

  3. An SR-1 report is required in addition to any other report made to the police, CHP, or your insurance company.

A printable copy of the form is available if needed. Please note that paper submissions are likely to take longer to process.
Spanish version.