Permanent Fleet Registration (PFR) (FFPFR 1)
What is Permanent Fleet Registration?
The Permanent Fleet Registration (PFR) program is a convenient method for owners of large vehicle fleets to maintain their vehicle registration. Under the PFR program, notification is sent monthly to fleet owners listing the vehicles expiring that month, in place of individual vehicle registration renewal notices pursuant to California Vehicle Code §§5301-5309.
What are the benefits of the PFR program?
Instead of a yearly registration sticker, PFR vehicles are issued a California PFR fleet sticker for the license plate, a permanent registration card with the month of expiration, and, if applicable, Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA) weight decals and stickers.
The PFR vehicle registration card does not display an expiration year because registration remains valid as long as vehicles are owned or leased to the fleet owner and currently registered.
How Do I Qualify for the PFR Program?
To qualify for PFR, fleets must:
- Contain a minimum of 50 commercial or passenger motor vehicles for individual owners (motorcycles and trailers are not eligible). Fleets with a minimum of 25 vehicles may participate, if qualified, through an authorized registration service agent or association that registers a minimum of 250 motor vehicles.
- Display the company's business name, trademark, or logo on both the right and left side of each motor vehicle. This information must be visibly legible from a distance of 50 feet. Exceptions apply to certain public utility company vehicles.
How Do I Apply for PFR?
- Complete the Application for Permanent Fleet Registration (MC 3500 P, REV. 8/2012) form.
- Fax Side A of the MC 3500 P to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) PFR Section at (916) 657-6628.
If the application is approved, DMV will assign and write the PFR account number on the MC 3500 P and return the application to you by fax.
To complete the process:
- List each vehicle to be included in your PFR fleet on Side B of the MC 3500 P.
- Return the application by mail to the address listed on the MC 3500 P.
- Submit, if applicable, all additional renewal requirements, such as parking violation bail or clearance, owner's responsibility citation clearance and service fee, and smog certification.
NOTE: When the PFR application is presented within 75 days of the renewal date, vehicle registration renewal fees and any penalties due must be paid.
PFR Service Fee
A service fee of $1 is due for each vehicle registered as part of a PFR fleet for the following transactions:
- Original fleet registration.
- Vehicle additions.
- Annual registration renewal.
For additional information, refer to the Permanent Fleet Registration (PFR) Handbook (MC 3115 P, REV. 5/2013) located on the DMV website at www.dmv.ca.gov.
Who Do I Contact?
For additional assistance regarding the PFR program, contact DMV by email at
IRP_Customer_Response@dmv.ca.gov, by phone at (916) 657-7971, or write to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
ROD-PFR Section, MS H159
PO Box 932320
Sacramento, CA 94232-3200
What Services Are Available at DMV PFR Field Offices?
Designated PFR field offices provide services for:
- Vehicle additions.
- Vehicle deletions.
- Duplicate registration cards or ownership certificates.
- Substitute license plates or stickers.
- Vehicle weight changes.
Save Time, Don't Stand In Line!
For faster service, make an appointment before visiting a DMV PFR field office at www.dmv.ca.gov or call 1-800-777-0133 during normal business hours. Inform the representative that you wish to make an appointment for a PFR transaction.
This brochure contains general information on the PFR program and does not supersede laws and regulations governing the PFR program as specified in the California Vehicle Code, California Revenue and Taxation Code, and California Code of Regulations.
DMV PFR Field Office Locations
655 W. Olive Avenue
Fresno, CA 93728
909 W. Valencia Drive
Fullerton, CA 92832
1335 W. Glenoaks Boulevard
Glendale, CA 91201
124 Burney Street
Modesto, CA 95354
424 N. Wilcox Avenue
Montebello, CA 90640
5300 Claremont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618
1600 S. Garey Avenue
Pomona, CA 91766
5245 South Grove
Rocklin, CA 95677
1377 Fell Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
1511 N. Gaffey Street
San Pedro, CA 90731
2785 Auto Plaza Drive
Tracy, CA 95304
13700 Hoover Street
Westminster, CA 92683
FFPFR 1 (REV. 3/2016) WWW