DMV Headquarters in Sacramento
DMV Vision and Function
The California Department of Motor Vehicle’s vision is to be a recognized leader in public service. To accomplish this vision our mission is to serve the public by providing quality licensing and motor vehicle-related services.
The two functions of the DMV that most people are familiar with are registering vehicles and licensing their drivers. There are approximately 33 million registered vehicles in California with 23 million licensed drivers. However, the DMV maintains and oversees many other functions.
Other Major DMV Functions
- Recording ownership (certificate of title) of the vehicles DMV registers
- Maintaining driving records (accidents and convictions) of licensed drivers
- Issuing identification cards for individuals
- Registering and recording ownership of vessels
- Licensing and regulating driving and traffic violator schools and their instructors
- Licensing and regulating vehicle manufacturers, transporters, dealers, distributors, vehicle salespeople, and dismantlers
- Administering the Financial Responsibility Law
- Investigating consumer complaints
- Maintaining records in accordance with the law
- Collects approximately $6.5 billion in revenues annually