Frequently Asked Questions
The following are answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding DMV Online Service Accounts.
- Why should I create an online account with DMV?
Creating an account will give you greater access to DMV's online services including renewing your driver license or identification card, ordering your driving record history, vehicle registration record history, or changing your address. You must go through the registration process. When you complete the registration process, the DMV can validate your identity, ensuring your information is private and secure.
- Why do I need to create an online account to renew my driver license, purchase my driver history or change my address?
To ensure your information remains private and secure. Please refer to "Privacy/Security" for more information regarding DMV's Internet Privacy Statement.
- What do I need to create an account with DMV?
To create an account the following is needed:
- A valid email address,
- California driver license or identification card number,
- your date of birth,
- mobile phone number,
- the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.
- A valid email address,
- Can I create an account without a California DMV license?
You need a California driver license or California identification card to create an account.
- What are the rules for password?
Passwords must be between 8-20 characters in length and include 4 alpha characters, 1 numeric character (0-9), or 1 special character (!,#,$,%). The password is case sensitive and must not contain spaces or be the same as your email address.
- Why does DMV need your email address? What is it used for?
Your email address will be used to create and verify your account. DMV will send you a confirmation email upon registration. If there are password or email changes made to your online account, you will be notified. You may also opt in for informational emails.
- What if I share an email address, can we both use the same email address?
Each account is associated with an email address, the email address may not be shared with another user.
- Will DMV request any information by email?
DMV will not request any personal information by email.
- I never received a registration confirmation email, how do I get another email sent to me?
If you have not received your confirmation email, please check your spam folder. If you do not respond to your confirmation email within 24 hours, you will need to re-register.
- I forgot my password, what do I do?
Click on the "Login" link on the right side of the screen, then click on "Forgot Your Password?" under the password field.
- I have exceeded the amount of tries to enter my identity verification passcode, what do I do?
You will need to request a new passcode by selecting the “Request a new passcode” link on the Identity Verification page. If you have exceeded all your amount of tries to enter your identity verification passcode, please visit a DMV to complete your transaction.
- How do I contact the DMV for help with technical issues I am experiencing with DMV's online services?
For assistance with technical issues while using our online services, you may reach us by telephone at 1-877-563-5213. The Online Technical Support Call Center business hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8 am to 5 pm, Pacific time and Wednesday 9 am to 5 pm, Pacific time.