Research and Development Branch
The following is a description of the functions of the Research and Development Branch and a detailed summary of major study milestones and impacts on departmental operations and policy.
E. Summary of Major Study Milestones and Impacts on DMV Policy, 1959-1997
R&D's published and internal reports are summarized in a compendium entitled "California Department of Motor Vehicles Research Studies-A Summary of Findings and Activities" (1997). The following is a summary of the more significant milestones and policy applications emanating from these R&D studies.
- Negligent Driver Post-Licensing Control Research
- Evaluation of Physical and Mental (P&M) Factors
- Evaluation of Driver Licensing and Selection Procedures
- Drunk Driving and License Suspension Policy
- Driver Training and Teenage Drivers
- Development and Evaluation of an Improved Motorcycle Licensing Program