Driver License and Identification Card Design FAQs
Why did DMV redesign the DL/ID card?
- DMV redesigned the card to improve the overall security features of the card as well as provide a different look in anticipation of implementing the REAL ID Act.
How was the design decided?
- The design of the new DL/ID card was decided through the efforts of DMV staff and the current driver license card contractor.
How does this new design make the card more secure?
- Overall changes to the card and changes of key security features help thwart would-be counterfeiters.
How long will this new design be in use?
- This new design will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future. DMV is always looking to stay one-step ahead of counterfeiters.
What does the new card look like?
- The new card features a gold miner, California poppies, and ultraviolet light features
When will I receive the new card?
- The new card design became available for customers effective January 22, 2018.
Does this new card cost more?
- Customers will not pay more for the new card. The cost of a driver license is $35 and an ID card is $30.
What is the difference between a REAL ID and a federal non-compliant card?
- The card features on the REAL ID card and the federal non-compliant card are the same. The REAL ID card contains a special marking of the California bear with a star. The federal non-compliant card is marked “Federal Limits Apply.”