Web Content Viewer


Commercial Driver License Permit Check List


Commercial Driver License Permit Check List

Immediate Attention:

You will need a federal compliant card such as a passport, military ID, or REAL ID to board a domestic flight or access some federal facilities beginning October 1, 2020. The DMV started offering REAL ID driver licenses and ID cards on January 22, 2018. A field office visit is required to apply for a REAL ID.

To obtain a CDL permit or CDL endorsement permit you must:

Be 18 years of age or older. You may drive for hire within California and not engage in interstate commerce activities. You must be at least 21 years old to drive a commercial vehicle engaged in interstate commerce or to transport hazardous materials or wastes (interstate or intrastate) (VC §12515) (VC §12516).

Complete a Commercial Driver License Application.

Complete a 10 Year History Record Check form (DL 939) if you have been issued a driver license in the same or different name to operate any type of motor vehicle in another state or other jurisdiction within the previous ten years.

Starting January 31, 2005, new federal regulations require a person who is applying for a California commercial driver license with an original Hazardous Materials (HazMat) endorsement to undergo a security threat assessment. The USA Patriot Act requires the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to complete a security threat assessment (background records check) before the Department of Motor Vehicles issues a HazMat endorsement.

Related Links

Federal Hazardous Materials Requirements

Transportation Security Administration

Transportation Security Administration - Agent Information


Provide your true full name.

Present an acceptable birth date/legal presence document.

Present acceptable residency documents, if you have never had a California driver license or California identification card.

Provide your social security number.

Pay the application fee.

Pass a knowledge tests for the class of vehicle you will drive.

Additional information regarding a commercial permit.

Complementary Content