Gender Identity (Female, Male, or Nonbinary)
Governor Brown signed Senate Bill (SB) 179 (Atkins, Ch. 853, Stats. 2017) on October 15, 2017. Effective January 1, 2019, this legislation allows individuals applying for an original or renewal Driver License (DL) or Identification card (ID) to self-certify to their chosen gender category of male, female, or nonbinary.
- On September 1, 2018, the California Courts are implementing a portion of SB 179 as it pertains to name and gender change processes.
- Beginning January 1, 2019, the DMV will begin allowing individuals to self-certify and choose a gender category of male, female, or nonbinary on their DL/ID card.
- Applicants wishing to change their gender are encouraged to schedule an appointment on or after January 2, 2019.
- The DMV will revise the Driver License & ID Card Application (DL 44), Commercial Driver License Application (DL 44C), and the electronic application (eDL 44) to allow individuals to request a gender category of male, female, or nonbinary.
- There will be no additional fee to change the gender category on a DL/ID card. However, the standard DL/ID card application fees will apply.
- DMV is currently in the process of adopting regulations to enable individuals to self-certify to their chosen gender category of male, female, or nonbinary.
- The DMV will continue to update the SB 179 landing page on the DMV website in addition to revising publications to reflect the availability of a third gender category and the updated gender category process.