Web Content Viewer


Frequently Asked Questions - Traffic Tickets/Infractions Amnesty Program


Frequently Asked Questions – Traffic Tickets/Infractions Amnesty Program

When can I apply for the Amnesty Program?
The amnesty program begins on October 1, 2015 and is offered through March 31, 2017.


Who is eligible to apply for the Amnesty Program?
Anyone who has unpaid tickets and related “failure to appear” violations with an initial payment due on or before January 1, 2013, may be eligible. Individual superior courts and counties may extend this program to include some misdemeanors. This amnesty program does not apply to parking tickets, reckless driving, and driving under the influence (DUI) offenses.


Where can I get information on the Amnesty Program?
You will find more information on the Amnesty Program on the Traffic Tickets/Infractions Amnesty Program page. 


How do I get a copy of my driver record?
There are three ways to obtain a copy of your driver record.

  1. Visit the Driver Record Request page ($2 fee).
  2. By mail by completing a Request For Your Own Driver License Identification Card Or Vehicle/Vessel Registration Information Record (INF 1125) form ($5 fee).
  3. In person at your local DMV office ($5 fee) (An appointment is recommended).

How do I register for an online account?
Visit the Registration page. You will need your driver license or identification card and your social security number. You will be asked to create a username, password, and need to provide an email address and answer security questions.


What if I don’t remember my password?​
Your password can be recovered by going to the Login page and selecting the Forgot your Password? link.


How do I know which court reported the Failure to Pay/Failure to Appear (FTP/FTA) violation?
The information appears on your driver record. Go to the Driver Record Request page or visit a DMV field office for a printout of your driver record. You may also call 800-777-0133 to request the court information.


How do I identify FTP/FTA violations on my driver record?
FTPs will be listed near the bottom of the driver record under the “CONVICTIONS” section. If the conviction is in failure to pay status “*FAILURE TO PAY FINE” will be displayed. FTAs are listed below the “CONVICTIONS” section and are under the heading “FAILURES TO APPEAR."


Can DMV help me in this process?
Applicants need to work with the court in the jurisdiction where they received the citation(s). The DMV can only provide a driver record, $2 online and $5 in a field office, or via mail. The record will include the county court where the citation was issued. Once the court notifies the DMV that the fine has been paid, or agreed to the amnesty payment plan, the DMV can release a hold on the license or reinstate a suspended driver license.


How can I participate?
Beginning on October 1, 2015, contact the superior court in the jurisdiction(s) where you received the traffic ticket(s) to determine your eligibility to participate in the traffic amnesty program.


Can I get a license prior to paying off the balance?
Yes, once the court notifies the DMV that an applicant agreed to the amnesty payment plan, the DMV will release a hold on the license or reinstate a suspended driver license, providing that there are no other FTP/FTA violations, or other stops or actions on the driver record.


How many tickets/violations can be removed?
Any eligible infractions, regardless of the number, may be removed if an individual satisfies the amnesty program requirements.


When will I be able to drive if my driving privilege is suspended for FTP/FTA?
You must clear all FTP/FTAs. In addition, if there are any other actions on your driver record, those actions must also be cleared. Once all actions on your driver record have been cleared, you may be eligible to drive.

If your license has expired, or is no longer in your possession you must visit your local DMV office and apply for a new license.


How will DMV know I satisfied my citation?
DMV will only be notified that the citation (FTP/FTA) has been cleared.


Will DMV charge me to get my license back after I pay my citation fees?
The DMV will charge a $55 driver license reinstatement fee, if the license was suspended, as it does for any driver license reinstatement. If a duplicate driver license is needed, the DMV charges an additional $27 fee for a basic Class C non-commercial driver license. If the license is expired or cancelled, the applicant will need to make an appointment to visit a field office, and apply for a new driver license, which costs $33 for a basic Class C non-commercial driver license. Commercial drivers will be required to pay slightly higher fees for a duplicate or renewal driver license.



Complementary Content