Online Replacement Sticker and/or Registration Card Frequently Asked Questions
The following are answers to frequently asked questions regarding the Online Replacement Sticker and/or Registration Card application.
1. What is the fee for a replacement registration sticker or registration card?
- The replacement fee is $22. This fee is subject to change annually based on the Consumer Price Index. For current fee information, visit www.dmv.ca.gov.
2. If I order a replacement sticker, do I also need to order a replacement registration card?
- No. A replacement sticker order will include a new registration card.
3. When can I expect to receive my replacement sticker and/or registration card?
- The replacement item(s) will be mailed within 14 days to the registered owner’s address on record.
4. What vehicles are ineligible for online replacement sticker and registration card?
- Off-Highway vehicles
- Special equipment plated vehicles
- Farm equipment
- Vehicles with registration due within the next 30 calendar days
- Vehicles with an expired or suspended registration
- Vehicles on Planned Non-Operation
- Junked, vehicles with salvage certificate-issued, and non-repairable vehicles
- Vehicles with titles surrendered to another state
- Vehicles with an open collections action with the Department
- Vehicles with an active Notice of Release of Liability on record
- Vehicles with a hold due to transaction processing, titling, outstanding citations, or vehicle theft issues
- Vehicles registered under the Permanent Fleet Registration program
- Commercial vehicles registered under the International Registration Plan program or Partial Year Registration program
- Trailers registered under the Permanent Trailer Identification program
5. What should I do if I do not have a California Driver License or Identification (DL/ID) Number?
- Enter the word ‘NONE’ in the DL/ID Number field in the online application.
6. Can I change the registered owner address of the vehicle when I place my order?
- No. You cannot change the address on this application. If your address has changed, visit the department’s online Change of Address system before you use the online replacement sticker or registration card application.
7. I placed the order more than two weeks ago and have not received it. What should I do?
- You may call the Department’s Call Center at 1-800-777-0133. Call Center business hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8 am to 5 pm, Pacific time and Wednesday, 9am to 5 pm, Pacific time.
8. What should I do if I find my original sticker after placing the replacement order?
- Destroy the original sticker that was reported as lost, stolen, or destroyed/mutilated.