(FFDMV 1) Ordering and Reproducing DMV Forms
- Policy Statement
- General Guidelines
- How to Order Forms in Bulk Quantities
- Alternatives to Using DMV Forms
- Form Reproduction Guidelines
- Reproduction Approval Process
- Form Reproduction Contacts
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) policy regarding forms is to:
- Make forms available to customers.
- Permit customers to obtain reproduced forms from a private business entity as long as they use the most recent revision of the form.
- Permit private business entities to produce forms in DMV approved format with prior written approval from DMV.
Upon request, local DMV offices and headquarters processing units will provide a maximum of 25 copies of a form.
The Materials Management Section located at DMV's warehouse in Sacramento will provide a six-month supply of a form (based on the customer's usage) as long as the warehouse maintains an adequate supply of the form. The Materials Management Section will process requests for forms in bulk quantities within 21 working days of receiving the request.
How to Order Forms in Bulk Quantities
Requests must be submitted on business letterhead. The request must include the form number, title, quantity required, street address for delivery (no PO Box), contact name, and telephone number.
Submit by mail, fax, or email to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Materials Management Section
4201 Sierra Point Drive, Suite 112
Sacramento, CA 95834-1998
Fax Number: (916) 928-6817
EMail Address: DMVASDPublicForms@dmv.ca.gov
DMV will process the request if forms are available. Requesters will be notified if forms are not available.
Questions regarding requests may be directed to the Materials Management Section at (916) 928-7901.
Alternatives to Using DMV Forms
- Forms may be purchased from a printer who has a DMV approval number to reproduce specified forms.
- Forms may be generated from a computer with prior approval from DMV. Follow the guidelines listed below. Unapproved forms will be rejected.
Form Reproduction Guidelines
The following must be reproduced as closely as possible to the DMV version:
- Size of form.
- Format-precise placement of text, graphics, and margins.
- Content-latest revision must be used.
- Number of pages and/or sides.
- Form legibility-equivalent quality or better.
- Font size.
- Font style-Arial or equivalent.
- Color of paper and text ink.
- Form number.
- Revision date.
- Paper weight.
- 3/8 inch (2 picas) blank margin around the form.
- Necessary indexes or markings for document imaging or bar coding.
- It is the requester's responsibility to check with DMV for the latest revision of the form.
Copyright Notice - must consist of the following elements:
- The word "Copyright."
- The copyright symbol "©."
- The year of revision or, for a new form, first year of publication.
- "State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles."
- "All rights reserved."
Example for REG 42 (REV. 3/2007) form:
Copyright © 2007 State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles. All rights reserved.
The copyright symbol may be typed with the keyboard number lock on by pressing and holding the Alt key and typing "0169" on the number pad.
Reproduced Form Box - replaces the DMV logo and must contain the following elements:
- The box should measure .5 inch x 1.19 inches
- The words "Reproduced Form" in 8 point bold Arial font
- The approval number provided by the Divisional Forms Reproduction Administrator in 12 point bold Arial font
|Examples of Reproduction Form Box:|
|for REG forms|
|for OL forms|
|for DL/DS forms|
|for FR forms|
|for FO forms|
|for BOAT forms|
|For MC forms|
DMV forms are subject to copyright law protections. Written permission from the DMV Divisional Form Reproduction Administrator must be obtained to reproduce any DMV Form.
The following form elements must not be reproduced:
- DMV logos.
- Any reference to the Office of State Publishing (OSP)-either OSP or a seven or eight digit number on the bottom right hand corner of the form (i.e., 14 12345).
- The State Seal.
Requesters may not add the following:
- Company name.
- Company assigned tracking numbers.
- Company logo, contact information, website, or email address.
- Any verbiage that may be construed as an advertisement.
Forms that may not be reproduced:
- Accountable forms.
- Certificates (e.g., ownership, registration card, driver education, etc.).
- Licenses and special certificates (photo and temporary, and any form used to reproduce driver licenses).
- Application for Driver License / Identification Card (DL 44 or DL 44C) form.
- Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262).
- Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form.
Reproduction Approval Process
- Requesters for form reproduction must follow the procedures below to obtain permission to reproduce DMV forms.
- The reproduced form must be thoroughly proofread and in the final format prior to submission to DMV.
- DMV review timeframe is approximately 30 calendar days.
- Any reproduced form containing errors or not replicating the DMV version closely enough to be acceptable will be returned to the requester.
- Each subsequent submission by the requester will undergo an additional 30-day review period.
When the DMV form reproduction is approved, the requester:
- Must sign a Reproduction Agreement stating that any and all employees responsible for form reproduction in the requester's organization have read, understood, and agreed to abide by DMV's reproduction guidelines and conditions.
- Will receive an approval letter stating the specific form name and revision date approved along with a hard copy of the requester's approved form stamped "approved" and signed by the DMV Divisional Form Reproduction Administrator.
- The Divisional Form Reproduction Administrator will maintain the approval agreement, approval letter, and approved form which will be available for review should any questions arise over the request approval and actual form approved.
- The requester must keep the approval agreement, approval letter, and approved form on file at his/her organization.
- Will be assigned an approval number which must be displayed in a box on the form in place of the DMV logo. The approval number:
- Is specific to the requester and the reproduced form revision.
- May not be used by any other entity, on any other form, or on any other revision of the reproduced form.
- May not make any changes to the approved form at a later date without subsequent written approval from the DMV Divisional Form Reproduction Administrator.
- Anytime a DMV form is revised, the requester must obtain written approval to reproduce the revised form. A new approval number will be assigned.
- The requester should check the DMV Forms section to determine when forms have been revised and then promptly submit a request for approval of the revised reproduction.
Form Reproduction Contacts
Send the reproduced electronic form with a letter of request for approval to the DMV Divisional Form Reproduction Administrator for the form type below:
Faxing reproductions is not recommended
FFDMV 1 (REV. 3/2017) WWW