Contact: Office of Public Affairs
2415 First Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 657–6437 | firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 8, 2015
DMV AB 60 Statistics for April 2015
Sacramento – The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) today released April statistics for Assembly Bill 60 (AB 60), as well as totals since the programs implementation on January 2, 2015.
Original Driver License:
• 74,000 AB 60 driver licenses issued in April 2015.
A license is not issued until the applicant proves identity and residency with qualifying documents or through secondary review, passes a written knowledge exam, and completes a behind-the-wheel drive exam.
• 281,000 AB 60 driver licenses issued from January 2, 2015 to April 30, 2015.
Year to Year Comparison:
Total original (non-commercial) driver licenses issued in April 2015: 135,000
This number includes the number of AB 60 driver licenses issued in April 2015.
Total original (non-commercial) driver licenses issued in April 2014: 75,000
This number shows how many original driver licenses DMV issued before AB 60.
Applying for a Driver License:
• 82,000 Number of AB 60 applicants applying for a driver license in April 2015.
This is the total number of unique individuals who started the application process in April 2015.
• 584,000 Number of AB 60 applicants applying for a license from January 2, 2015 to April 30, 2015.
This is the total number of unique individuals who started the application process since January 2, 2015.
• 237,000 Number of AB 60 customer visits in April 2015.
Data identifies the AB 60 customers provided a ticket at the “Start Here” window, which can include starting an application, taking an exam or other transactions in April.
• 982,000 Total statewide driver license customer visits in April 2015.
Data identifies the total number of driver license related visits statewide, which includes AB 60 applicants along with all driver license customer visits in April.
• 217,000 Total number of written knowledge and drive tests administered to AB 60 applicants
DMV administered 134,000 written knowledge tests and 83,000 drive tests to AB 60 applicants in April.
• 46% Statewide written knowledge exam passage rate for all applicants for a new driver license
DMV administered 363,000 written knowledge tests. This includes AB 60 applicants.
For comparison, 47% of applicants passed the written knowledge test in 2014.
• 72% Statewide drive test passage rate for all applicants for a new driver license
DMV administered 170,000 drive tests. This includes AB 60 applicants.
For comparison, 61% of applicants passed the drive test in 2014.
All statistics are approximate figures gathered from Wednesday, April 1, 2015, to Thursday, April 30, 2015.
The DMV has a helpful AB 60 information webpage, http://ab60.dmv.ca.gov, containing a complete list of acceptable documents that can be used to verify identity and residency, a copy of the driver handbook, sample knowledge tests, appointment information, and other relevant materials.