Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual
Chapter 7 Miscellaneous Originals
7.015 U.S. Government Surplus Vehicles
Surplus vehicles sold by the U.S. Government are considered an original registration.
U.S. Government Surplus Registration Requirements
- Completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
- Vehicle verification (REG 343).
- Certificate of Release of Motor Vehicle, U.S. Government, Standard Form 97, and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to the applicant.
- Odometer mileage disclosure on a Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment form (REG 262), if applicable. See Chapter 5, Odometer Mileage Reporting, for odometer disclosure requirements.
- Report of Sale, Used Vehicle (REG 51), if sold by a California dealer.
- Weight certificate for a commercial vehicle weighing less than 10,001 pounds unladen. If the vehicle weighs 10,001 pounds or more, or if the vehicle is a trailer in the PTI program, the estimated unladen weight is required and must be shown on a Statement of Facts (REG 256).
- Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008) completed and signed by the owner for a commercial vehicle weighing 6,001 pounds or more unladen (not required for pickups).
- Smog certification, if appropriate.
- Collect the fees due.