Frequently Asked Questions
The following are answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding DMV Online Service Accounts.
- Why should I create an online account with DMV?
Creating an account will give you greater access to DMV's online services including renewing your driver's license, ordering your driving record history or changing your address. You must go through the registration process. When you complete the registration process, the DMV can validate your identity, ensuring your information is private and secure.
- Why do I need to create an online account to renew my driver's license, purchase my driver history or change my address?
To ensure your information remains private and secure. Please refer to "Privacy/Security" for more information regarding DMV's Internet Privacy Statement.
- What do I need to create an account with DMV?
To create an account the following is needed:
- California driver's license or identification card number,
- your date of birth,
- the last 4 digits of your social security number,
- the issue date of the driver's license or identification card, and
- a valid e-mail address.
- Can I create an account without a California DMV license?
You need a California driver license or California identification card to create an account.
- What are the rules for a user id and password?
User IDs must be between 6-40 characters, no spaces are allowed. Passwords must be between 8-20 characters in length and include 4 alpha characters, 1 numeric character (0-9), or 1 special character (!,#,$,%). The password is case sensitive and must not contain spaces or be the same as your user ID.
- Are user IDs and passwords case sensitive?
User IDs are not case sensitive, but passwords are case sensitive.
- Why does DMV need your e-mail address? What is it used for?
DMV will send you a confirmation e-mail upon registration. If there are password or e-mail changes made to your online account, you will be notified. You may also opt in for informational e-mails.
- Will DMV request any information by e-mail?
DMV will not request any personal information by e-mail.
- I never received a registration confirmation e-mail, how do I get another e-mail sent to me?
If you have not received your confirmation email, please check your spam folder. If you do not respond to your confirmation email within 24 hours, you will need to re-register.
- When I respond to the registration confirmation e-mail the system states: "Account Not Found", what do I do now?
You will need to re-register and create your account again. Click on the "Login" link on the right side of the screen, then click on "Forgot Your User ID".
- How do I change my e-mail address?
Login with your user id and password. Go to "Settings" at the right side of the screen and then go to "Change my personal information".
- I forgot my user ID and/or password, what do I do?
Click on the "Login" link on the right side of the screen, then click on "Forgot Your User ID".
- I forgot my answer to the challenge question, how do I access my account?
You will need to re-register and certify your account again. Click on the "Login" link on the right side of the screen, then click on "Forgot Your User ID".
- My account is locked, how do I get back in?
If you are locked out of your account, wait 30 minutes and retry logon again.
- How do I reactivate my account?
You will need to utilize the "Forgot User ID" link on the login page to reactivate your account.
- Why is my account no longer available?
All accounts are deactivated when not used within 18 months. You will need to register and create an account again.
- I remember my user id and password, but it does not work. What do I do?
You will need to re-register and certify your account again. Click on the "Register Here" link on the right side of the screen.
- How do I contact the DMV for help with technical issues I am experiencing with DMV's online services?
For assistance with technical issues while using our online services, you may reach us by telephone at 1-877-563-5213. The Online Technical Support Call Center business hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8 am to 5 pm, Pacific time and Wednesday 9 am to 5 pm, Pacific time.