Application Requirements for Vehicle Distributor License
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or greater) to view some of the linked documents on this page. If you have problems with Acrobat Reader see the Adobe Troubleshooting page for possible solutions.
Distributor Licensing Information
See Occupational Licensure Product List (PDF) for product types that currently require and Occupational License.
Distributor Original License Forms and Fees
An application for a vehicle distributor license consists of the following forms:
- OL 12, Application for Original Occupational License, Part C
- OL 21A, Original Application for Occupational License, Part A
- OL 29B, Application for Occupational License Personal History Questionnaire, Part B, Business Licensing Unit (Required for each person listed under ownership on form OL 12.)
- OL 107, Corporate Declaration/Limited Company Declaration (Required for Corporation, Limited Liability Company or Limited Liability Partnership)
- ADM 1316, Fingerprint Card (out-of-state applicants only) Fingerprint cards may be obtained by calling Occupational Licensing at (916)229-3126 or your local Inspector.
- DMV 8016, Request for Live Scan Clearance (receipt) (More Information about Live Scan) (Required for each person completing form OL 29B.)
The following documents are also required as part of the application package:
- Brochure or drawing of the manufactured product (include name of product and the following).
- A 17-digit VIN or VIN sample configuration from the Society of Automotive Engineers. If this is a new product to California, provide a copy of the assignment of ID and testing approval or waiver from the National Highway Transportation Association.
- A copy of the California Air Resources Executive Order (required for engine powered products).
- List of authorized or enfranchised dealers; enfranchised auto/commercial and motorcycle dealers are appointed on Form OL 124, Certificate of Proposed Franchise . All other authorizations must be on company letterhead and signed by a person listed in the application documents.
- Letter of appointment from manufacturer.
- Photograph(s) of business location, refer to Photograph Procedures.
- Corporation, Limited Liability Company or Limited Liability Partnership owned businesses only: A copy of Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Minutes or other document filed with the Secretary of State, which identifies the officers, shareholders and managers with an interest in the business is required.
- If your firm is incorporated in a state other than California, provide:
- Articles of incorporation.
- Certification from incorporating state's Secretary of State the corporation is in good standing.
- If your firm is located in the state of California the following is required:
- Copy of City and/or County Business License
- Copy of Fictitious Name Statement
- Copy of lease or rental agreement
List of authorized representatives. All representatives must apply for a license.
- OL 16R, Application for Occupational License
- DMV 8016, Request for Live Scan Clearance (receipt)
Original Licensing Fees
The fees to become a licensed vehicle distributor are:
- $100 Non-refundable application fee
- $1 Family Support Program fee
- $50 For each branch location (if applicable)
- $71 For each auto plate and $73 for each motorcycle plate (plus county fees, if applicable).
- $32 For each person submitting ADM 1316, Fingerprint Card (out-of-state applicants only)
The Family Support Program fee is paid on original, renewal, and reinstatement applications.
Distributor Licensing Renewal Forms and Fees
- $1 Family Support Program fee
- $86 Renewal application fee
- $70 For each auto plate and $72 for each motorcycle plate (plus county fees, if applicable)
The Family Support Program fee is paid on original, renewal, and reinstatement applications
Distributor License Modification Forms and Fees
- $50 Name change
- $50 Address change
- $50 Add a branch
- $70 Officer Change
Distributor Licensing Authority
California Vehicle Code. Sections 29, 296, 297, 320 (a), 3000 et seq., and 11700 et seq. The California Vehicle Code is available for purchase from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
California Code of Regulations. Title 13, Chapter 1.
Government Code. Section 6157 (a) - (d).
Application Questions and Submission Information
Please refer to the Distributor Handbook.
- OL Information
- Headquarters Operations
- Compliance Programs
- Field Inspector Offices by Location
- Information Services
Occupational Licenses & Programs
- All-Terrain Vehicle Safety Training
- Autonomous Vehicle Tester Program
- Autonomous Vehicle Deployment Permit – Coming Soon
- Driving School
- Employer Testing Program
- Ignition Interlock Device Program
- Mature Driver Program
- Registration Service
- Traffic Violator School
- Vehicle Verifier
- Vessel Agent
Quick Licensing Links