Vehicle Registration Suspensions
The department is required to suspend the registration of a vehicle when:
- The registered owner fails to provide evidence of insurance within 30 days after the issuance of a registration card upon initial registration or transfer of ownership.
- DMV is notified that a policy has been cancelled and a replacement policy has not been submitted within 45 days.
- The registration is obtained by providing false evidence of insurance.
If proof of insurance is not received, DMV will suspend the vehicle registration and send a notice informing the vehicle owner that proof of insurance and a $14 reinstatement fee is due to clear the suspension.
Vehicle Registration Suspension Vehicle Registration Suspensions and Insurance Program
Vehicle registration suspensions can only be handled by the Vehicle Registration Financial Responsibility Program.
You may submit your insurance information and/or reinstatement fee through one of the following options:
- The Vehicle Registration Suspension page which provides up-to-date vehicle registration insurance suspension status and reinstatement requirements including options to submit a reinstatement fee payment, submit insurance information, and submit/remove an Affidavit of Non-Use (ANU).
- If you have your notification letter you can mail the stub from your letter along with proof of liability insurance and/or reinstatement fee payment to:
P.O. Box 997405
Sacramento, CA 95899-7405
- If you do not have a notification letter you can mail the proof of liability insurance and/or reinstatement fee payment to:
DMV - VRFRP Unit
P.O. Box 997408 M/S N305
Sacramento, CA 95899-7408
- You can call the automated voice system, at 1-800-777-0133 to verify registration insurance suspension status, submit a reinstatement fee payment, submit proof of liability insurance, and submit/remove an ANU. (This service will be available December 2009.)
NOTE: DMV field office and call center personnel cannot process paperwork to clear vehicle registration insurance suspensions. You will be referred to one of the service options listed above.
You must submit current evidence of insurance and pay a $14 reinstatement fee.
NOTE: If your vehicle is parked or operated upon California roadways when the registration is suspended, you are subject to citation (CVC §4000a).
Commercially Insured Vehicles
Personal vehicles covered by a commercial/business policy might not be identified as commercially insured. If you receive a notice requesting insurance, you must send a copy of your insurance card or the declaration page of your policy to the Vehicle Registration Financial Responsibility Program prior to the suspension effective date shown on the notice.
If it is time to renew the registration for a vehicle that you do not plan to use, you may place your vehicle on Planned Non-Operation (PNO) status. Vehicles with PNO status are not subject to suspension.
If your vehicle is currently registered and you decide not to use it, you must maintain liability insurance or notify the department that you will not be using it by submitting an Affidavit of Non-Use. You can also print and mail the ANU form (REG 5090) to DMV, P.O. Box 997408, MS N305, Sacramento, CA 95899-7408, or by calling the automated voice system at 1-800-777-0133. Vehicles with an Affidavit of Non-Use or PNO status are not subject to suspension.
NOTE: Vehicles with PNO or ANU status cannot be parked and/or operated on any California roadways.