Vehicle insurance information and requirements
Here are some things you need to know about recent vehicle liability insurance changes:
- As of January 1, 2006, all insurance companies are required to report insurance status information to DMV for all private use vehicles (CVC §16058).
- As of July 1, 2006, law enforcement and court personnel have access to DMV records to verify that your California registered vehicle is currently insured (CVC §16058.1).
- Effective October 1, 2006, your vehicle registration is subject to suspension if the liability insurance is cancelled, OR if your insurance company has not electronically provided evidence of insurance when you purchase and register your vehicle, OR if you provide DMV with false insurance information (CVC §4000.38).
What does this mean to the California vehicle owner?
- You will have greater assurance that the vehicle next to you on the road is covered by liability insurance.
- You will have the opportunity to renew your registration online, over the phone, or at a self-service terminal.
- You will not have to submit paper proof of insurance with your private-use vehicle registration renewal.
Remember, you must carry proof of insurance in your vehicle at all times.