Vehicle Registration Renewal
Before you begin, you must:
- Have your license plate number and the last 5 digits of your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for a vehicle or the Hull Identification Number (HIN) for a vessel/boat.
- Have your smog certification filed with DMV, if needed.
- Have a renewal notice that shows your current address OR confirmed through the Change of Address system that your address has been updated.
IMPORTANT: If you have recently submitted or intend to submit within the next 7-10 days an online change of address, we recommend that you mail-in your renewal notice and change your address on the back of the form.
Renewing your registration only takes four simple steps
- Enter vehicle or vessel/boat information.
- Confirm record information and select payment option.
- Read and accept the eCheck payment terms, if applicable.
- Receive confirmation of your transaction.
For more information, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions.
In addition, you may want to check NHTSA Search Recalls by VIN to find out if your vehicle has a vehicle safety recall notice that has not been repaired.
By selecting the “Start” button above, you will be directed to the Online Registration Renewal page. After you enter your License Plate Number or CF Number for vessels/boats, and your Vehicle Identification Number, you will have access to the vehicle renewal application. To learn more about how your information is shared as well as the laws that protect the release of your information visit How Your Information is Shared.
Personal Information Collected from Credit/Debit Card Transactions
The Department of Motor Vehicles uses a third-party vendor to process credit and debit card transactions. For more information, visit DMV’s How Your Information Is Shared page.
For eCheck payments
- For making eCheck payments, you will need to provide your first and last name, as well as your bank routing number and account number.
- You will need one of your checks (not a deposit slip) to obtain your bank routing number and account number.
- When entering your checking account number, do not include the check number.
- eCheck customers can only purchase one item, per online transaction.
- Business checks are not acceptable for eCheck payments.
ATM/Debit Card with a Visa or MasterCard logo from a participating network may also be used:
No additional fee is charged for using this online service.