Web Content Viewer


Buying or Selling a Vehicle Changing Vehicle Ownership

En espaƱol

Informational Links To Change Ownership

Unless an exemption applies, sales/use tax applies on the purchase of vehicles/vessels in California. If vehicle/vessel is purchased from someone who is engaged in business in California, (vehicle/vessel dealers) that person is responsible for reporting/paying the sales tax.

However, if the vehicle/vessel is purchased, or received as compensation, from someone who is not a California dealer, use tax is due for the use of that property, as explained, the purchase may qualify for an exemption from use tax.

Complementary Content