Section 27 of 28
Additional Driving Laws/Rules
Things You Must Not Do:
- Do not smoke at any time when a minor is in the vehicle. You can be fined up to $100.
- Do not dump or abandon animals on a highway. This crime is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000, 6 months in jail, or both.
- Do not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless communications device to write, send, or read text-based communications.
- Do not wear a headset or earplugs in both ears while driving
- Do not drive a vehicle so loaded, either with property or people, that you cannot control it, or see ahead or to the sides of your vehicle.
- It is illegal to drive any vehicle with an unsafe, unsecured load that is a safety hazard (CVC §24002(a)). Unsecured loads (ladders, buckets, and loose items in the back of pickup trucks) can cause danger for other motorists, especially motorcycles, when they fall onto the road.
- Do not carry anything in or on a passenger vehicle which extends beyond the fenders on the left side or more than 6 inches beyond the fenders on the right side. Cargo extending more than 4 feet from the back rear bumper of the vehicle must display a 12-inch red or fluorescent orange square flag or 2 red lights at night.
- Do not allow a person to ride in the back of a pickup or other truck, unless the vehicle is equipped with seats and the person uses both the seat and a safety belt.
- Do not transport animals in the back of a pickup or other truck unless the animal is properly secured; this prevents the animal from falling, jumping, or being thrown from the vehicle.
- Do not drive a vehicle equipped with a video monitor, if the monitor is visible to the driver and displays anything other than vehicle information, global mapping displays, external media player, or satellite radio information.
- Do not throw any cigarette, cigar, or other flaming or glowing substance from your vehicle.
- Do not block your view by putting signs or other objects on the front windshield or back side windows. Do not hang objects on the mirror. Windshield/window stickers, etc., are permitted in these locations only:
- A 7 inch square on either the passenger’s side windshield lower corner or the lower corner of the rear window.
- A 5 inch square on the lower corner of the driver’s side window.
- The side windows behind the driver.
- A 5 inch square located in the center uppermost portion of your windshield for an electronic toll payment device.
- Do not block or hinder a funeral procession. Vehicles taking part in a funeral procession have the right-of-way, and if you interfere, obstruct, or interrupt the funeral procession, you are subject to a citation (CVC §2817). A funeral procession is led by a traffic officer. All vehicles taking part in the procession have windshield markers to identify them and have their headlights on.
- Do not operate a vehicle that has a visual or electronic product or device that obscures the reading or recognition of the license plate.
- Do not alter a license plate in any manner.
Things You Must Do:
- You must use your headlights 30 minutes after sunset and leave them on until 30 minutes before sunrise.
- You must dim your lights to low beams within 500 feet of a vehicle coming toward you or within 300 feet of a vehicle you are following.