Section 7 of 28
Driver License Classes
Class C DL –
- You may drive a:
- 2-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds (lbs.) or less.
- 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.
- Housecar 40 feet or less.
- 3-wheel motorcycle with 2 wheels located in the front or back.
- Vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10 persons, but no more than 15 persons including the driver.
A driver of a vanpool may operate with a Class C license but shall possess evidence of a medical examination required for a Class B license when operating vanpool vehicles. In the vanpool vehicle the driver must keep a statement, signed under penalty of perjury, that they have not been convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the last 5 years (CVC §12804.9(j)).
- You may tow a:
- Single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, including a tow dolly, if used.
- With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
- Trailer coach or fifth-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.
- Fifth-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation, and with endorsement.
- A farmer or employee of a farmer may drive:
- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less, if used exclusively in agricultural operations and not for hire or compensation.
- Class C licensees may not tow more than 1 vehicle.
- A passenger vehicle, regardless of weight, may not tow more than 1 vehicle.
- A motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen weight may not tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or more gross (CVC §21715(b)).
Other classes of driver licenses/endorsements are:
- Noncommercial Class A
- Noncommercial Class B
- Commercial Class A
- Commercial Class B
- Commercial Class C
- Motorcycle Class M1
- Motorcycle Class M2
- Commercial endorsements:
- Hazardous Materials
- Passenger Transportation
- Tank Vehicle
- Ambulance Driver Certificate
- School Bus Endorsement
- Tow Truck Driver Certificate
- Verification of Transit Training Certificate
- Farm Labor Vehicle Certificate
- Firefighter Endorsement
Commercially-licensed firefighters must submit a Medical Examination Report Form, (MER) MCSA-5875 and Medical Examiner’s Certificate Form, (MEC) MCSA-5876. Noncommercially licensed firefighters may submit a self-certifying Health Questionnaire (DL 546).