Contact: Office of Public Affairs
2415 First Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 657–6437 | firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 6, 2023
Sacramento – Nearly 15.5 million Californians now have a REAL ID – an increase of 185,842 from the previous month – according to California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) data.
Don’t procrastinate! Spring into action and get a REAL ID driver’s license or identification card now – before the federal enforcement date of May 7, 2025, requires a REAL ID to board flights within the United States and access secure federal facilities. Not having a REAL ID or other federally approved document to get through airport security could delay the bloom of your next big adventure.
“Spring is a time for renewal. It’s a great opportunity to upgrade your driver’s license or identification card to a REAL ID,” said DMV Director Steve Gordon. “You can even avoid the April showers by filling out the application online from home, upload your documents, then make an appointment at your nearest DMV field office to complete the process. You’ll be in and out and hopping off to your next egg hunt in no time!”
To apply for a REAL ID, Californians should visit REALID.dmv.ca.gov, fill out the online application and upload their documents. Customers must visit a DMV office and bring their uploaded documents to complete the application. Customers need to provide:
- Proof of identity* – One original or certified document (example: valid passport, birth certificate) *Legal name change document(s) is required if name on proof of identity is different from the name on the other documents (example: marriage certificate, adoption papers).
- Proofs of California residency – Two documents, paper copies (example: utility bill, bank statement).
- Social Security number (exceptions may apply).
Visit REALID.dmv.ca.gov for a complete list of acceptable documents and a link to the online application.
Historical REAL ID information:
- Total REAL ID cardholders as of April 1, 2023: 15,462,678
- Total REAL ID cardholders as of March 1, 2023: 15,276,836
- Total REAL ID cardholders as April 1, 2022: 12,915,863
The DMV has taken many steps to offer more digital services. Most DMV tasks do not require an office visit. The DMV encourages customers to use its online services and other service channels to complete transactions, including eligible driver’s license and vehicle registration renewals. Customers can also use the Service Advisor on the DMV website to learn their options to complete DMV tasks.
To sign up for paperless vehicle registration and driver’s license renewal notices, customers must sign in or create a secure online account at dmv.ca.gov, and then opt in.
Sign up to receive the latest DMV News Alerts: DMV NEWS ALERTS – California DMV