Permanent Fleet Registration (PFR) FFPFR-1
What is Permanent Fleet Registration?
The Permanent Fleet Registration (PFR) program is a convenient method for owners of large vehicle fleets to maintain their vehicle registration. Fleet owners are notified through a monthly listing to renew their vehicle registration instead of individual vehicle registration renewal notices. (California Vehicle Code Sections 5301-5309)
What are the benefits of the PFR program?
Vehicle owners no longer need to locate each vehicle in their fleet to update the registration card and year sticker. Fleet vehicles display "continuous" registration credentials. Permanent license stickers, weight decal PFR stickers, and registration cards showing the month of expiration are issued for vehicles in the PFR program. The expiration year does not appear on the PFR vehicle registration credentials because they are valid as long as the vehicles in the fleet are:
- Owned or leased to the fleet owner.
- Currently registered. If registration is expired or will expire within 75 days of addition to the fleet, renewal fees and any penalties due must be paid.
How do I qualify for the Pre program?
To qualify for the program, fleets must:
- Consist of 50 or more commercial motor vehicle or passenger vehicles (motorcycles and trailers are not eligible). Fleets with a minimum of 25 vehicles may participate, if qualified through an authorized registration service agent submitting multiple fleets containing a combined total of 250 or more vehicles.
- Display the company's business name, trademark, or logo on both the right and left side of each motor vehicle. This information must be visibly legible from a distance of 50 feet. Exceptions apply to certain public utility company vehicles.
- Submit, if applicable, all additional renewal requirements, such as parking violation bail or clearance, owner's responsibility citation clearance and service fee, and a smog certification.
For additional information refer to the PFR Handbook located on the department's website at:
PFR Service Fee
A service fee of $1 is due for each vehicle registered as part of a PFR fleet for the following transactions:
- Original fleet registration
- Vehicle additions
- Annual registration renewal
How do I apply for PFR?
- . Complete the Application for Permanent Fleet Registration (MC 3500P).
- . Fax Side A of the application to the PFR Section at (916) 657-9017.
Your application will be reviewed. If approved, an assigned PFR account number will be written on the application and returned to you by fax. To complete the application process:
- Write the assigned PFR account number on the original application (MC 3500P).
- Complete Side B of the Application for Permanent Fleet Registration (MC 3500P) to report the specific vehicles to be included as part of your fleet.
- Mail to the address on the application or in this pamphlet. See the PFR Handbook for detailed instructions.
Who do I contact?
For additional assistance regarding the PFR program contact us at:
Or write to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
ROD-PFR Section MS H160
P.O. Box 932320
Sacramento, CA 94232-5340
Services Available at DMV-PFR Field Offices
Designated PFR Field Offices can provide services for:
- Vehicle additions
- Vehicle deletions
- Duplicate registration cards or ownership certificates
- Substitute license plates or stickers
- Vehicle weight changes
Save time, don't stand in line!
Expedite your visit by making an appointment. Appointments may be made on-line, at your convenience at dmv.ca.gov or by calling (800) 777-0133, during normal business hours. Inform the telephone service representative that you wish to make an appointment for a PFR transaction.
DMV-PFR Field Office Locations
655 W. Olive Avenue
Fresno, CA 93728
909 W. Valencia Drive
Fullerton, CA 92832
1335 W. Glenoaks Boulevard
Glendale, CA 91201
3529 N. Mission Road
Los Angeles, CA 90031
124 Burney Street
Modesto, CA 95354
424 N. Wilcox Avenue
Montebello, CA 90640
5300 Claremont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618
1600 S. Garey Avenue
Pomona, CA 92064
4240 Rocklin Road #12
Rocklin, CA 95677
7775 La Mancha Way
Sacramento, CA 95823
1377 Fell Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
1511 N. Gaffey Street
San Pedro, CA 90731
324 E. 11th Street, #C
Tracy, CA 95376
13700 Hoover Street
Westminster, CA 92683
FFPFR 1 (REV. 8/2012)