How To Reregister a Junk Vehicle

(PDF) Version
You will need the…
You may also need a…

Revived Junk Vehicle

A revived junk vehicle is one that was reported as dismantled to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) by an individual or dismantler and now has been restored to operational condition. For information on revived salvage vehicles, see the brochure How ToReregister a Revived Salvage (Total Loss) Vehicle. (HTVR 13).

Reregistering a Junked Vehicle

The requirements are:

1. Application

An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) signed by all current owners.

2. Proof of Vehicle Ownership

To prove ownership of the vehicle, you must have one of the following:

  • A junk receipt issued by DMV.


  • A Bill of Sale (REG 135) or Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) from a licensed dismantler, including the dismantler's vehicle acquisition number.

note: If the junk receipt is missing, the person to whom DMV issued the junk receipt must complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) which describes the vehicle and states what happened to the original junk receipt.

  • REG 262 (combined bill of sale, odometer disclosure, and power of attorney) as needed to complete the chain of ownership or, if you do not need to disclose the odometer reading, you may download and print a:
    – Bill of Sale (REG 135).
    – Power of Attorney (REG 260).
  • Bills of sale for all parts used in the reconstruction of the vehicle listing:
    – The part(s) purchased.
    – The year, make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle from which the parts were removed.
    – The name, address, telephone number, signature, and either the driver license or identification number, or Federal Employer Identification number of the person or business from whom you acquired the part(s).
3. Vehicle Inspection

Revived junk vehicles must be inspected by the California DMV or, if required, by the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
For vehicles that require a CHP inspection:

  • Contact CHP for an appointment at one of the telephone numbers listed on the reverse side of this brochure.
  • Bring proof of ownership (previously discussed) and repair receipts to the inspection appointment.
  • CHP will issue a Certificate of Inspection (CHP 97C) form that must be submitted along with other requirements to DMV before the application can be completed.
  • A nonrefundable inspection fee will be collected by DMV at the time the registration application is presented.

note: Vehicles manufactured with a supplemental restraint system (air bags) need to be equipped with working air bags that meet applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards and conform to the manufacturer's specifications.

4. Brake/Light Inspection Certificates

California brake and light inspection certificates are required for reregistration of most vehicles. Certificates are not required for trailers weighing 3,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight. For a listing of California state-licensed brake and light inspection stations check your local telephone directory or the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) website at

exception: When an official California brake and light inspection station that inspects specific vehicles, such as motorcycles or large commercial vehicles, is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a California state-licensed repair shop certifying that the brakes and lights are in proper working order.

5. Weight Certificate

A California public weighmaster's certificate of the vehicle's unladen or empty weight is required for trucks and pickups. This certificate may be obtained from many moving and storage companies for a nominal fee. For a list of public scales check your local telephone directory or the California Department of Agriculture website at

A weight certificate is not required for:

  • Trucks or pickups previously registered in California, when the prior California registration shows the unladen weight, and the vehicle has not been modified to change the weight.
  • Trucks or pickups with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less with the empty, unladen, scale, or tare weight is indicated on an out-of-state certificate of title or registration, and the vehicle has not been modified to change the weight.
  • Two or three-axle trucks weighing 10,001 pounds or more. An estimated weight is required.
  • Autos, trailers, and motorcycles.

note: A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) is required for commercial vehicles weighing 6,001 pounds or more, except pickups.

6. Smog Certification

Smog certification from a California state-licensed smog inspection station is required unless your vehicle is:

  • A 1997 or older year model and diesel-powered.
  • Diesel-powered and weighs 14,001 pounds or more.
  • Electric.
  • Natural gas-powered and has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 14,001 pounds or more.
  • A hybrid.
  • A motorcycle.
  • A trailer.
  • A 1975 and older year model and gas-powered.
  • Special equipment.
  • An off-highway vehicle.
  • Assigned Historical Vehicle License Plates (manufactured prior to 1976 year model).
  • A crane, cement mixer, forklift, golf cart, or street sweeper.

note: A California Certificate of Title will not be issued if you do not obtain the required certifications and reregister your vehicle before moving it out of California. California does not recognize out-of-state junk vehicle inspection certifications.

7. Fees That May Be Due

The types of fees that may be collected are:

Service Fees

  • Salvage and dismantled vehicle inspection fee
  • Prior history fee

Use Tax (not due if the vehicle was purchased from a licensed dismantler)
note: For registration fees, see the brochure, Registration Related Fees (FFVR 34). Because fees are subject to change, for the most current information visit our website at

CHP Inspection Appointment Scheduling

Inspections will not be conducted without an appointment. The addresses are for appointment scheduling only and may not be the actual inspection site. Contact one of the offices listed in the following section to make an appointment.

For an Appointment Contact:

Northern Division
2485 Sonoma Street
Redding, CA 96001-3026
Phone: (530)-225-2120
Valley Division
2555 1st Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95818
Phone: (916)-464-1480
Golden Gate Division
1551 Benicia Road
Vallejo, CA 94591-7568
Phone: (510)-622-4611
Central Division
5179 N. Gates Avenue
Fresno, CA 93722-6414
Phone: (559)-277-7250
Coastal Division
4115 Broad Street #B-10
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401-7963
Phone: (805)-549-3006
Inland Division
847 E. Brier Drive
San Bernardino, CA 92408-2820
Phone: (909)-806-2437
Border Division
1722 East Main Street
El Cajon, CA 92021
Phone: (858)-492-1745
2335 Enrico Fermi Drive
San Diego, CA 92154
Phone: (858)-492-1745
13200 Golden West Street
Westminster, CA 92683
Phone: (714)-892-4426
Southern Division
437 N. Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Altadena Phone: (626)-296-8100
Monterey Park Phone: (323)-980-4600
Torrance Phone: (323)-644-9593
Valencia Phone: (661)-294-5540
Woodland Hills Phone: (818)-888-0980

HTVR 4 (REV. 8/2012)