5.020 Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262)
- The Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) is used for odometer disclosure when:
- The title is a non-complying title.
- An Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227) is submitted.
- The title is unavailable at the time of transfer.
- There is an error or alteration in the odometer disclosure section of a complying title or Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397).
- There are multiple transfers.
- Federal regulations specify that the information be completed in ink, not pencil.
- The original REG 262 must accompany the registration application. Photocopies are not acceptable, even with original signatures.
- Section 3 (Odometer Disclosure Statement) and Section 4 (Buyer and Seller) on the REG 262 must be completed for odometer disclosure.
- For convenience, Bill of Sale (Section 2) and Power of Attorney (Section 5) sections were included on the REG 262.
- The Bill of Sale (REG 135) and Power of Attorney (REG 260) are also available to customers on the DMV Internet website at www.dmv.ca.gov.
Section 1: Vehicle/Vessel Identification
The complete vehicle identification number (VIN). The department will return the application if an incomplete VIN is shown.
Section 2: Bill of Sale
- Provided for convenience and may be used whenever a Bill of Sale is required.
- Completion is not required for odometer purposes.
Section 3: Odometer Disclosure Statement
- Completed at the time of sale by the seller disclosing the mileage.
- Errors/alterations void the odometer disclosure statement and a new REG 262 is required for odometer disclosure.
|IMPORTANT: Retain the original REG 262 with the application if the Bill of Sale (Section 2) and/or Power of Attorney (Section 5) sections were completed and a new REG 262 is required.|
Section 4: Buyer and Seller Information
To be completed by the buyer and seller when the odometer reading is required or the Bill of Sale is used:
- A business name may be completed by hand in ink, typewritten, or computer-generated. The authorized agent's countersignature must be handwritten in ink.
- The printed name(s) and signature(s) of buyer and/or seller must be completed by hand and in ink.
Any form not completed correctly will be returned by the department.
Section 5: Power of Attorney
Provided for convenience and may be used whenever a Power of Attorney is needed.
Requests for Forms
To order a supply of the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), send a written request to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Forms and Accountable Items Section MS G202
PO Box 932382
Sacramento, CA 94232-3820
|Exception: A field office manager or designee may be able to fill a request for 25 or less forms, if the office has a sufficient supply of the form.|