Revenue and Taxation Code Section 10879
10879. In the case of leased vehicles, for purposes of Section 10877, this section, and Article 6 (commencing with Section 9800) of Chapter 6 of Division 3 of the Vehicle Code, the following shall apply:
(a) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (b), in the event the lessor designates the address of the lessee under subdivision (a) of Section 4453.5 of the Vehicle Code and provides the Department of Motor Vehicles with the address of the lessor, at a time and in the form and manner required by the department, the lessee shall be solely liable for the following, and any interest, penalties, or service fees added thereto:
(A) Penalties resulting from the delinquent registration of the leased vehicle.
(B) Penalties for offenses relating to the standing or parking of a vehicle for which a notice of parking violation has been served on the owner.
(C) Any court-imposed fines or penalty assessments that are subject to collection by the department.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (3), the lien described in Section 9800 of the Vehicle Code shall remain in full force and effect for all unpaid penalties, fines, and fees described in this subdivision, including related interest, if any.
(3) Upon a bona fide sale or transfer of the vehicle, the lien on the vehicle being sold or transferred shall be released if the lessor has paid the registration and license fees within 30 days after the lessor is issued notice and demand by the Franchise Tax Board in accordance with subdivision (b).
(4) Any amount that is owed by the lessee under paragraph (1) at the time the lien is released in accordance with paragraph (3) shall constitute a lessee liability enforceable under Section 9805 of the Vehicle Code and collectible in accordance with Section 10878 of this code.
(b) If, within 30 days after notice and demand is issued to the lessor by the Franchise Tax Board, the lessor fails to pay the registration and license fees required to register the vehicle, all of the following shall apply to the lessor:
(1) The lessor shall remain solely liable for those registration and license fees.
(2) The lessor shall be jointly and severally liable with the lessee for the amounts described in paragraph (1) of subdivision (a).
(3) The lessor shall not be subject to relief under Section 4760 or 9561 of the Vehicle Code or any other law.