V C Section 5068 Veterans Organizations Plates or Decals
Veterans’ Organizations: Plates or Decals
5068. (a) (1) (A) veterans’ organization may apply either individually or with other veterans’ organizations to meet the application threshold set forth in Section 5060 for special interest plates. An organization that meets the minimum application requirement by applying with other organizations under this subdivision shall be issued a regular license plate bearing a distinctive design or decal approved under subdivision (a) of Section 5060.
(B) The Department of Veterans Affairs may modify the distinctive design or decal described in subparagraph (A), consistent with the design criteria imposed by Section 5060, to honor all veterans, or veterans who served in a particular war or armed conflict as described in subdivision (a) of Section 5068.1. Special interest plates issued under this section and bearing the modified design or decal shall be issued only after all existing plates have been issued.
(2) Any person who is the registered owner or lessee of a passenger vehicle, commercial motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer registered or certificated with the department, or any person who applies for an original registration or renewal of registration of that vehicle may apply under this section for a special interest license plate with a decal that honors all veterans or veterans who served in a particular war or armed conflict.
(3) Special interest license plates issued under this section may be issued in a combination of numbers or letters, or both, requested by the owner or lessee of the vehicle, to be displayed in addition to the design or decal authorized under paragraph (1), subject to Section 5105.
(b) In addition to the regular fees for an original registration, a renewal of registration, or a transfer of registration, the following fees shall be paid by individuals applying for a special interest license plate or a decal issued under this section:
(1) Fifty dollars ($50) for the initial issuance of the plates and decals. The plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced.
(2) Forty dollars ($40) for each renewal of registration that includes the continued display of the plates or decals.
(3) Fifteen dollars ($15) for transfer of the plates to another vehicle.
(4) Thirty-five dollars ($35) for replacement plates, if they become damaged or unserviceable.
(5) Ten dollars ($10) for replacement decals, if they become damaged or unserviceable.
(6) ( ) Notwithstanding Section 5106, seventy–eight dollars ($78) for the personalization of the plates, as authorized under paragraph (3) of subdivision (a).
(c) The department shall maintain on its Internet Web site, a link to order online the special interest license plates issued pursuant to this section.