V C Section 11520 Notice of Acquisition Transmittal of Documents
Notice of Acquisition; Transmittal of Documents
11520. (a) A licensed automobile dismantler who acquired, for the purpose of dismantling, actual possession, as a transferee, of a vehicle of a type subject to registration under this code shall do all of the following:
(1) Within five calendar days, not including the day of acquisition, mail a notice of acquisition to the department at its headquarters.
(2) Within five calendar days, not including the day of acquisition, mail a copy of the notice of acquisition to the Department of Justice at its headquarters.
(3) Not begin dismantling until 10 calendar days have elapsed after mailing the notice of acquisition. In the alternative, dismantling may begin any time after the dismantler complies with paragraph (4).
(4) Deliver to the department, within 90 calendar days of the date of acquisition, the documents evidencing ownership and the license plates last issued for the vehicle. Proof that a registered or certified letter of demand for the documents was sent within 90 days of the date of acquisition to the person from whom the vehicle was acquired may be substituted for documents that cannot otherwise be obtained. A certificate of license plate destruction, when authorized by the director, may be delivered in lieu of the license plates.
(5) Maintain a business record of all vehicles acquired for dismantling. The record shall contain the name and address of the person from whom the vehicle was acquired; the date the vehicle was acquired; the license plate number last assigned to the vehicle; and a brief description of the vehicle, including its make, type, and the vehicle identification number used for registration purposes. The record required by this paragraph shall be a business record of the dismantler separate and distinct from the records maintained in those books and forms furnished by the department.
(b) Paragraphs (1) and (2) of subdivision (a) do not apply to vehicles acquired pursuant to Section 11515, 11515.2, 22851.2, or 22851.3 of this code or Section 3071, 3072, or 3073 of the Civil Code.
(c) Paragraphs (1), (2), (3), and (4) of subdivision (a) do not apply to a vehicle acquired from another person if the other person has already notified and cleared the vehicle for dismantling with the department pursuant to this code and a bill of sale has been executed to the dismantler that properly identifies the vehicle and contains evidence of clearance by the department, including, but not limited to, a dismantling report number, temporary receipt number, or other proof of compliance with this section.