V. C. Section 11713.26 Used Vehicle Sale: National Motor Vehicle Title Information System Vehicle History Report
Used Vehicle Sale: National Motor Vehicle Title Information System Vehicle History Report
11713.26. (a) A dealer shall not display or offer for sale at retail a used vehicle, as defined in Section 665 and subject to registration under this code, unless the dealer first obtains a NMVTIS vehicle history report from a NMVTIS data provider for the vehicle identification number of the vehicle.
(b) If a NMVTIS vehicle history report for a used vehicle indicates that the vehicle is or has been a junk automobile or a salvage automobile or the vehicle has been reported as a junk automobile or a salvage automobile by a junk yard, salvage yard, or insurance carrier pursuant to Section 30504 of Title 49 of the United States Code, or the certificate of title contains a brand, a dealer shall do both of the following:
(1) Post the following disclosure on the vehicle while it is displayed for sale at retail in at least 14-point bold black type, except for the title "Warning" which shall be in at least 18-point bold black type, on at least a 4 x 5.5 inch red background in close proximity to the Federal Trade Commission’s Buyer’s Guide:
According to a vehicle history report issued by the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS), this vehicle has been reported as a total-loss vehicle by an insurance company, has been reported into NMVTIS by a junk or salvage reporting entity, or has a title brand which may materially affect the value, safety, and/or condition of the vehicle. Because of its history as a junk, salvage, or title-branded vehicle, the manufacturer’s warranty or service contract on this vehicle may be affected. Ask the dealer to see a copy of the NMVTIS vehicle history report. You may independently obtain the report by checking NMVTIS online at www.vehiclehistory.gov."
(2) Provide the retail purchaser with a copy of the NMVTIS vehicle history report upon request prior to sale
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply to a used vehicle for which NMVTIS does not have a record if the dealer attempts to obtain a NMVTIS vehicle history report for the vehicle.
(d) As used in this section the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) "NMVTIS" means the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System established pursuant to Section 30501 et seq. of Title 49 of the United States Code.
(2) "NMVTIS vehicle history report" means a report obtained by an NMVTIS data provider that contains:
(A) The date of the report.
(B) Any disclaimer required by the operator of NMVTIS.
(C) If available from NMVTIS, information establishing the following:
(i) Whether the vehicle is titled in a particular state.
(ii) Whether the title to the vehicle was branded by a state.
(iii) The validity and status of a document purporting to be a certificate of title for the vehicle.
(iv) Whether the vehicle is or has been a junk automobile or a salvage automobile.
(v) The odometer mileage disclosure required pursuant to Section 32705 of Title 49 of the United States Code for that vehicle on the date the certificate of title for that vehicle was issued and any later mileage information.
(vi) Whether the vehicle has been reported as a junk automobile or a salvage automobile pursuant to Section 30504 of Title 49 of the United States Code.
(3) "Junk automobile," "operator," and "salvage automobile" shall have the same meanings as defined in Section 25.52 of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(4) "NMVTIS data provider" means a person authorized by the NMVTIS operator as an access portal provider for NMVTIS.
(5) "NMVTIS operator" means the individual or entity authorized or designated as the operator of NMVTIS pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 30502 of Title 49 of the United States Code, or the office designated by the United States Attorney General, if there is no authorized or designated individual or entity.
(e) Nothing in this section shall prohibit a NMVTIS data provider from including, in a NMVTIS vehicle history report containing the information required by paragraph (2) of subdivision (d), additional vehicle history information obtained from resources other than NMVTIS.
(f) This section shall not create any legal duty upon the dealer related to the accuracy, errors, or omissions contained in a NMVTIS vehicle history report that is obtained from a NMVTIS data provider or any legal duty to provide information added to NMVTIS after the dealer obtained the NMVTIS vehicle history report pursuant to subdivision (a).
(g) (1) In the event that all NMVTIS data providers cease to make NMVTIS vehicle history reports available to the public, this section shall become inoperative.
(2) In the event that all NMVTIS data providers cease to make NMVTIS vehicle history reports available to the public, it is the intent of the Legislature that the United States Department of Justice notify the Legislature and the department.
(h) This section does not apply to the sale of a recreational vehicle, a motorcycle, or an off-highway motor vehicle subject to identification under Section 38010.
(i) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2012.