How to Report a Vehicle Body Change Checklist

Changes or alterations to a commercial vehicle that cost $2,000 or more or place the vehicle in a different weight classification must be reported to the DMV. The requirements are:

California Certificate of Title.

A vehicle verification by an authorized DMV employee done after the change/alteration is completed. Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification.

A completed Statement of Facts, Vehicle Body Change Statement (REG 256).

A weight certificate from a California Certified Public Weighmaster for the altered vehicle.

Evidence of purchase or ownership of the added parts. This can be bills of sale, invoices, or sales slips. If you placed a body on the vehicle which you removed from another vehicle that you own, the DMV will need the license plate number or vehicle identification number for the other vehicle.

Additional fees may be due if the vehicle falls into a higher weight classification.