How to Junk a Vehicle Checklist

Individual vehicle owners who are not licensed as a dismantler can junk and/or dismantle their vehicle, by presenting the vehicle documents to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The requirements are:

The California Certificate of Title. The title must be endorsed for transfer of ownership if the vehicle is not registered in your name.

The license plates on the vehicle.

Fees are due if the vehicle record does not indicate the vehicle is currently registered or has a planned non-operation status.

Information on how to re-register a junked vehicle.