Completing a Name Correction on a Certificate of Title Checklist

To change or correct your name on your vehicle/vessel's DMV record you must submit:

A California Certificate of Title with your correct name printed or typed in the "New Registered Owner" section.

Complete the Statment Of Facts For Name section on a Statement of Facts (REG 256) indicating the reason for the change and sign the bottom of the form.

Additional information regarding completing a name correction on a certificate of title.