Registering a New Vessel Checklist

The DMV will need these items to register a new vessel in your name (the state of principal use must be California to obtain California vessel registration):

A completed Application for Registration Number Certificate of Ownership and Certificate of Number for Undocumented Vessel (BOAT 101). The Certificate of Sale on the BOAT 101 must be completed if the seller was a dealer or builder/manufacturer or when used as a bill of sale to establish chain of ownership.

The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin or the original factory invoice or the original or certified copy of the sales agreement stamped "Paid" and countersigned. The owner and legal owner, if any, must be the same as those shown on the BOAT 101.

A Vessel Registration Fee.

Additional information regarding vessel registration.