Register a Vehicle For Which DMV Has No Records Checklist

The requirements for registering a vehicle that has not been registered within the four-year file record of the Department of Motor Vehicles are:

A California Certificate of Title (Pink Slip), if available or

A Completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).

The expired California Registration Card, if available and an Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (REG 227), or

A copy of an expired California Registration Card for the vehicle and a Statement of Facts (REG 256) completed by the applicant stating how, when, and from whom the vehicle was acquired, what effort was made to contact the last owner to obtain evidence of ownership and why it was unobtainable, and the current value of the vehicle.

A Certificate of Non-Operation (REG 102).

An Odometer Disclosure Statement (REG 262).

A vehicle verification by an authorized DMV employee. Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification.

A weight certificate from a California Certified Public Weighmaster, if it is a commercial vehicle weighing less than 10,001 pounds unladen. If the vehicle is operated over 10,000 pounds GVW or is a PTI trailer, the estimated weight may be shown on a Statement of Facts (REG 256).

A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008) for a commercial vehicle over 6,001 pounds unladen, except pickups.

A Smog certification, is required for all 1976 year model and newer vehicles except diesel-powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs.

Any license plates on the vehicle.

Registration fees