Changing Vehicle Ownership Checklist

The DMV will need these items to transfer ownership of a vehicle to your name:

California Certificate of Title (Pink Slip) or Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (REG 227) if the title is lost.

Signature(s) of seller(s) and lienholder, if any, on the Certificate of Title.

Signature(s) of buyer(s) on the Certificate of Title.

Odometer disclosure for vehicles less than 10 years old.

Smog certification.

Transfer fee.

Use tax and/or various other fees.

Additional information regarding changing vehicle ownership.

Information regarding family transfers.