Re register a Salvaged Vehicle Checklist

The requirements for re-registering a vehicle previously reported as a total loss (salvaged) are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).

The California Salvage Certificate. The Salvage Certificate must be signed or endorsed for transfer if someone other than the owner named on the certificate is to be the owner.

A vehicle inspection by an authorized DMV employee or the California Highway Patrol.

Official Brake and Light Adjustment Certificates.

A weight certificate from a California Certified Public Weighmaster, if the vehicle is a pickup or truck.

Smog certification, if the vehicle is a 1976 or newer year model.

Total Loss Salvage Vehicle and Dismantled Vehicle Inspection Fee.

Prior History Fee.

Substitute Plate Fee

Transfer Fee, if ownership is being transferred

Registration renewal fees, if due.

Additional information regarding re-registering a salvaged vehicle.