How to Register a Specially Constructed Vehicle Checklist

The requirements for registering a vehicle built for private use, not for resale, built by someone other than a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).

A vehicle verification by an authorized DMV employee. Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification.

A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).

Bills of sale and/or receipts for major component parts (the engine, frame, transmission, and body).

If the vehicle is a trailer constructed from a purchased kit, the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin or a receipt or invoice identifying the kit purchased.

Official Brake and Light Adjustment Certificates.

A weight certificate from a California Certified Public Weighmaster, if the vehicle is a pickup or truck.

A Smog Certification.

Registration fees.

Additional information regarding registration requirements for specially constructed vehicles.