Off Highway Motorcycle Conversions to On Highway Street or Dual Registration

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) established emission regulations for on-highway motorcycles beginning with 1978-year models. Off-highway motorcycles must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use when converting to on-highway or dual registration. Registration guidelines for off-highway motorcycles converting to on-highway or dual registration require verification of the emission label.

NOTE: ATV OHVs cannot be originally registered for on-highway use or converted to on-highway registration, regardless of aftermarket conversion kits or added equipment.

Please direct questions regarding emission certification or labeling to the California Air Resources Board at 1-800-242-4450 or visit their website at