The Permanent Fleet Registration (PFR) program is a convenient way for owners of large vehicle fleets to manage their vehicle registration. After qualified intrastate commercial fleet vehicles are registered in the PFR program, owners can display continuous registration credentials in their vehicles and renew registrations through a monthly vehicle listing instead of individual vehicle renewal notices.
Benefits of the PFR Program
The PFR program is designed to simplify fleet vehicle registration for owners of large fleets:
- Vehicle owners do not need to locate each vehicle in their fleet to update the registration card and year sticker.
- Fleet owners are notified through a monthly listing to renew their vehicle registration, instead of individual vehicle registration renewal notices.
- Vehicles are issued permanent license stickers, weight decal PFR stickers, and registration cards showing the month of expiration.
- Vehicle registration credentials are valid as long as the vehicle is owned by or leased to the fleet owner y currently registered. If registration is expired or will expire within 75 days of the vehicle being added to the fleet, you must pay all vehicle registration renewal fees and penalties due.
How to Qualify for the PFR Program
To qualify for the program, fleets must:
- Consist of 50 or more commercial motor vehicle or passenger vehicles (motorcycles and trailers are not eligible). Fleets with a minimum of 25 vehicles may participate, if qualified through an authorized registration service agent submitting multiple fleets containing a combined total of 250 or more vehicles.
- Display the company’s business name, trademark, or logo on both the right and left side of each motor vehicle. This information must be visibly legible from a distance of 50 ft. Exceptions apply to certain public utility company vehicles.
- Submit, if applicable, all additional renewal requirements, such as parking violation bail or clearance, owner’s responsibility citation clearance and service fee, and a smog certification.
How to Apply for the PFR Program
To apply for the PFR program:
- Complete the Application for Permanent Fleet Registration (MC 3500 P).
- Fax Side A of the MC 3500 P to DMV PFR Section at (916) 657-6628.
If the application is approved, DMV will assign and write the PFR account number on the MC 3500 P and return the application to you by fax.
To complete the application process:
- List each vehicle to be included in your PFR fleet on Side B of the MC 3500 P.
- Mail the completed application to the address listed on the MC 3500 P.
- Submit, if applicable, all additional renewal requirements, such as parking violation bail or clearance, owner’s responsibility citation clearance and service fee, and smog certification.
When the PFR application is presented within 75 days of the renewal date, you must pay all vehicle registration renewal fees and penalties due.
PFR Service Fee
In addition to all other registration fees, a $1 service fee is due for each vehicle registered as part of a PFR fleet for the following transactions:
- Original fleet registration.
- Vehicle additions.
- Annual registration renewal.
Need something else?
Learn more about the PFR program, including application requirements, reporting fleet vehicles, ordering duplicate registration certifications, renewing registrations, and more.
Commercial Vehicle Registration
Learn more about registering commercial vehicles, including applicable vehicle categories and weight requirements.
Contact the Registration Operations Division (ROD) – PFR section if you have any questions about the PFR program. We’re here to help!