Employment Opportunities @ DMV
Welcome to the Department of Motor Vehicles employment opportunities page. The following links have been created to facilitate your employment search.
Sacramento Workplace Excellence Leader (SWEL) Award
(Official news release link: www.sahra.org)
It gives me great pleasure to announce that last night, the Department of Motor Vehicles earned the prestigious SWEL Award, in the Large Government Organization category.
This award is a clear recognition of our employee focused commitment, as the DMV continues to emphasize career development and interpersonal improvement. The department continues to "drive change" through innovations in executive leadership, our award-winning program to hire and promote employees with disabilities and the fact that we have several active employee organizations celebrating the ethnic and cultural diversity of our workforce.
Read the Complete Memo >>
Current Exam Announcements
- Open – Any candidate who meets the minimum qualifications may apply for these examinations, whether or not they are currently employed by the state.
- Open/Non-Promotional – Any candidate who meets the minimum qualifications may apply for these examinations, whether or not they are currently employed by the state. State employees will receive career credits on this exam
- Promotional – Any candidate who meets the minimum qualifications, and has eligibility as specified below, may apply for promotional examinations.
- A permanent civil service appointment with the California Department of Motor Vehicles, or
- Qualifies as a Veteran under Government Code Section 18991, or
- Qualifies as a Legislative or Executive Branch employee under Government Code sections 18990, or 18992 or 18993, or
- Qualifies as a former Department of Motor Vehicles employee under State Personnel Board Rule 235
The links below will take you to the following type of examination announcements which are in PDF format. To view and print the examination announcements and revisions, please click on the Exam Title listed below.
The Examination/Employment Application (STD. 678) may be accepted via online for some examinations. The examination bulletin will indicate if this is an option. If you have never applied for an examination online, please refer to our instructions on How to Apply for Examinations Online (PDF)
This is an alphabetical listing of job vacancies available for individuals who have civil service list eligibility, who are in a classification (position) that is transferable to the identified classification, or who have reinstatement rights for the identified classification. This link searches DMV only vacancies:
Other Job Seeking Information Links: