Customers may request a replacement sticker or registration card online if the original item has been lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated. The item(s) ordered will be mailed to the vehicle’s registered owner’s address on record.
Before you begin…
Check whether your vehicle is eligible for online replacements (see ineligible vehicle types in FAQs below).
You will need the vehicle’s license plate number, the last 5 digits of the vehicle identification number (VIN), and the vehicle’s registered ownership information.
Be prepared to pay the replacement fee. (Fee is subject to change annually. Check registration fee information for current fee amount.)
- All credit/debit card transactions include an additional 2.1% payment processing fee.
- If paying directly from your bank account, there are no additional fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following vehicles are NOT eligible for online replacement requests:
- Off-highway vehicles
- Special equipment plated vehicles
- Farm equipment
- Vehicles with registration due within the next 30 calendar days
- Vehicles with an expired or suspended registration
- Vehicles on Planned Non-Operation
- Junked, vehicles with salvage certificate-issued, and non-repairable vehicles
- Vehicles with titles surrendered to another state
- Vehicles with an open collections action with the Department
- Vehicles with an active Notice of Release of Liability on record
- Vehicles with a hold due to transaction processing, titling, outstanding citations, or vehicle theft issues
- Vehicles registered under the Permanent Fleet Registration program
- Commercial vehicles registered under the International Registration Plan program or Partial Year Registration program
- Trailers registered under the Permanent Trailer Identification program
If your vehicle is one of the above, you will need to complete an Application for Replacement Plates / Stickers / Documents (REG 156) form and mail it to the address shown on the form, or take it into a DMV office.
No. A replacement sticker order will include a new registration card.
The replacement item(s) will be mailed within 14 days to the registered owner’s address on record.
Enter the word ‘NONE’ in the driver license/ID card number field in the online application.
No. You cannot change the address on this application. If your address has changed, visit the online change of address system before you use the online replacement application.
You will need to confirm that your address change has been processed by DMV prior to filling out the replacement application. Confirmation may be done in the online change of address system.
Call the DMV Contact Center at 1-800-777-0133. Contact Center business hours are:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8am to 5pm, Pacific time
Wednesday: 9am to 5pm, Pacific time
Destroy the original sticker that was reported as lost, stolen, or destroyed/mutilated.