Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook

Driver Education illustration

Additional Formats

  • Open selection options
    Download PDF

Section 5 of 16

Noncommercial Class B (45′ Housecar) Requirements

To obtain an original noncommercial Class B license – Adults must:

  • Complete an application for a driver’s license (DL 44).
  • Pay the application fee.
  • Submit a Physician’s Health Report (DL 546A) (PDF) signed by your physician dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application.
  • Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the past 12 months.
  • Pass the Driver’s Examination for 45′ Housecars law test.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Perform a vehicle safety check.
  • Pass a skills test.
  • Pass a driving test.

Minors must:


  • Driver’s Examination for 45′ Housecars law test. You must pass the law test based on the information contained in this booklet. The test may be taken at any DMV field office. You may make an appointment online at, or by calling 1-800-777-0133.
  • Vehicle safety check. Before the skills test, you must demonstrate that the turn signals, brake lights, horn, emergency flashers, and brake system are working. This is not part of your pre-trip test. However, if any of these items are not working properly or are missing; your driving test will be postponed.
  • Skills tests. Skills tests are designed to demonstrate your skill in stopping, backing in a straight line, completing a right turn around a cone or marker, and backing into a camping space.
  • Driving test. The driving test includes entering and exiting a freeway, freeway driving with lane changes, right and left turns into one-way and two-way traffic, railroad crossings, driving on a grade or steep hill, etc. You may make an appointment by calling 1-800-777-0133. Online appointments are not available for this type of driving test.
  • Physician’s Health Report. A Physician’s Health Report (DL 546A) (PDF) form signed by your physician is required and must be given to DMV for review and approval before your license is issued and then every two years after that. The Health Report expires two years from the examination date. Failure to maintain a valid Health Report form with DMV will mean that your license is valid only for Class C and, if endorsed, for Class M1 or M2 vehicles. Health Report forms are available online at

45′ Housecar Endorsement Exemptions

The following license classes are exempt from the 45′ housecar endorsement requirement:

  • Commercial Classes A and B
  • Noncommercial Class A

45′ Housecar with Air Brakes

You are not required to pass an air brake law test or to perform an air brake system check if your housecar is equipped with air brakes. You will be asked to perform a Vehicle Safety Check by the DMV examiner.

45′ Housecar Endorsement Refusal

If you cannot pass the 45′ housecar driving test because of lack of skill, you will be denied the 45′ housecar endorsement. You may request a hearing if you are denied this endorsement. Ask the DMV employee to send a request to the Driver Safety Actions unit in Sacramento. You will then be sent a letter advising you of your hearing rights.