Section 7 of 16
Recreational Trailer Endorsement
A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license.
To obtain an original fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement-
- Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
- There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
- Pass the Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test.
- Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the last 12 months.
- Pass a vision test.
- You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire or Physician’s Health Report.
- You are not required to take a pre-trip, skills, or driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
- Complete the items listed above.
- Meet the additional requirements listed in the California Driver Handbook in the Provisional License section.