How Big is DMV?
- Locations: 231
- Employees: 9,527
- *Registered Vehicles: 33,768,367
- *DL/ID Cards: 29,067,936
- **Total Transactions: 76,659,686
- Auto Clubs: 175
- Business Partner Sites: 4,389
*Statistics as of January 1, 2016
**Includes all transactions across all available service channels including field offices, online, and contact centers
Where Does the Money Go?
- Local Government (cities/counties): 41.54%
- California Highway Patrol (CHP): 27.32%
- DMV: 14.60%
- State Highways (CalTrans): 13.20%
- California Air Resources Board (CARB): 1.76%
- General Fund: 1.76%
- Environmental Agencies: 0.52%
- Department of Justice (DOJ): 0.35%
- Other State Agencies: 0.03%
*Based on 2014 fees. Fees are subject to law changes. California Vehicle Code, California Harbors and Navigation Code, California Civil Code, California Government Code, California Health and Safety Code, California Code of Civil Procedures, and California Revenue and Taxation Code sections noted for reference.