Change of Address

Online Forms

Change of address takes up to 3 days to process, so be sure to complete this step before applying for or renewing other DMV products and services. Check the status of your request by logging into your MyDMV account.

Use this application to change your address(es). Allow up to 3 days for processing.

Change your address in MyDMV

Before you begin…

  • A change of address does not require an in-person visit to a DMV office.

  • Have both your old and new addresses handy.

  • If changing the address for your vehicle or boat/vessel, you will also need your most recent registration card and the address where your vehicle or boat/vessel is located.

  • You will have an opportunity to save a summary of your Change of Address application.

Are you eligible to change your address online?

You are NOT eligible to change your address online if you:

  • Do not currently have a California DL/ID card.
  • Do not have a social security number.
  • Have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) issued by California and your residence address is in another state.
  • Have an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) address.
  • Have an address outside of the United States.
  • Have applied for but have not received your REAL ID DL/ID card.
  • Have a leased vehicle.
  • Want to change the address on your disabled person (DP) placard. (You may use the online Change of Address system to change the address for DP plates, however.)

If any of the above applies to you, please complete a Change of Address (DMV14) form and mail it to the address listed on the form.

Frequently Asked Questions

No. New documents are not issued when you change your address. However, you can request a replacement DL/ID or replacement registration card after you confirm that your address was changed successfully.

DMV will not automatically update your address across documents when you only update your address for one. However, you have the option in your MyDMV account to change both your DL/ID card and vehicle/vessel registration at the same time, if desired.

You may use a PO box for your mailing address; however, you must provide a residence address when your COA includes your DL/ID card. Temporary mailing addresses are not allowed.

No, you cannot. You may only change the address for up to three of your own vehicles.

Yes. You can change the address for up to three vehicles in one transaction, if they have the same address.

No. To change your address for your DP parking placard you may complete a Change of Address (DMV 14) form.

Yes. Be sure to check, however, with your new state regarding their driver’s license and/or vehicle registration requirements.

No. California residency is required for you to maintain a California CDL. If you have established residency outside of California, you must transfer your CDL to your current state of residency.

No, you cannot change the address for your occupational license using the Change of Address system. You can visit a DMV office in person to change the address for your occupational license.

Certain records require special handling. If you received this message, complete a Change of Address (DMV 14) form and mail it to the address listed on the form.

During the online Change of Address process you will have the option to register to vote and provide voter preferences that DMV will electronically forward to the Secretary of State (SOS) (if you are eligible). If you are currently a registered voter, you may ask DMV to notify the SOS of your new address. If you opt not to have DMV forward your information, it is your responsibility to notify the SOS of your address change.

Simply revisit your MyDMV account after 72 hours, log in, and choose “check the status of the request.”