Contact: Office of Public Affairs
2415 First Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 657–6437 | email@example.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 13, 2015
DMV AB 60 Statistics for February 2015
Sacramento – The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) today released February statistics for Assembly Bill 60 (AB 60), as well as totals since the programs implementation on January 2, 2015.
Original Driver License:
• 72,000 AB 60 driver licenses issued in February 2015.
A license is not issued until the applicant proves identity and residency with qualifying documents or through secondary review, passes a written knowledge exam, and completes a behind-the-wheel drive exam.
• 131,000 AB 60 driver licenses issued from January 2, 2015 to February 28, 2015.
Year to Year Comparison:
Total original (non-commercial) driver licenses issued in February 2015: 121,000
This number includes the number of AB 60 driver licenses issued in February 2015.
Total original (non-commercial) driver licenses issued in February 2014: 69,000
This number shows how many original driver licenses DMV issued before AB 60.
Applying for a Driver License:
• 91,000 Number of AB 60 applicants applying for a license in February 2015.
This is the total number of unique individuals who started the application process in February 2015.
• 387,000 Number of AB 60 applicants applying for a license from January 2, 2015 to
February 28, 2015.
This is the total number of unique individuals who started the application process since January 2, 2015.
• 292,000 Number of AB 60 customer visits.
Data identifies the AB 60 customers provided a ticket at the “Start Here” window, which can include starting an application, taking and exam or other transactions in February.
• 907,000 Total statewide driver license customer visits.
Data identifies the total number of DL related visits statewide, which includes AB 60 applicants along with all driver license customer visits in February.
• 321,000 Total number of written knowledge and drive tests administered to AB 60 applicants
DMV administered 241,000 written knowledge tests and 80,000 drive tests to AB 60 applicants in February.
• 46% Statewide written knowledge exam passage rate for all applicants for a new driver
DMV administered 407,000 written knowledge tests. This includes AB 60 applicants.
For comparison, 47% of applicants passed the written knowledge test in 2014.
• 72% Statewide drive test passage rate for all applicants for a new driver license
DMV administered 147,000 drive tests. This includes AB 60 applicants.
For comparison, 61% of applicants passed the drive test in 2014.
All statistics are approximate figures gathered from Monday, February 2, 2015 to Saturday, February 28, 2015.
The DMV has a helpful AB 60 information webpage, http://ab60.dmv.ca.gov, containing a complete list of acceptable documents that can be used to verify identity and residency, a copy of the driver handbook, sample knowledge tests, appointment information, and other relevant materials.