The DMV administers the Autonomous Vehicles Program and issues permits to manufacturers that test and deploy autonomous vehicles on California public roads. Learn more about the program, regulations, and applying for a permit.
Autonomous Vehicles Incident Form
We value your feedback regarding your experience with autonomous vehicles operating on California public roads. Submit your feedback to the AV Incident Form.
Please do not include any sensitive personal information such as social security number, driver license number, or financial account number.
In This Section
Autonomous Vehicle Regulations
Since we started considering the implications of autonomous vehicle technology on California roads in 2013, we’ve worked to develop regulations for testing and deployment, held public hearings and workshops, and hit key milestones.
Every year, permit holders in the Autonomous Vehicle Tester Program and Autonomous Vehicle Driverless Tester Program must track and report the number of times their vehicles needed to disengage from autonomous mode during tests.
Manufacturers testing autonomous vehicles need to report every collision involving one of their vehicles that results in property damage, bodily injury, or death.
Key definitions relating to autonomous vehicles in California.
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has created these documents to guide autonomous vehicle development and deployment in the United States:
See news bulletins relating to autonomous vehicles.
- Update Autonomous Vehicle Regulations – AVIN 2022-01
- New Autonomous Vehicle Laws — AVIN 2018-01
- Form Accessibility — AVIN 2019-01
- AVT Program Operations and Contact Information – AVIM 2020-01
- AVT Cancellation – AVIM 2020-02
- OL 311 Application Online – AVIM 2020-03
- Employee Pull Notice (EPN) File Transfer Option – AVIM 2021-01
- Autonomous Vehicle Tester (AVT) Program for Manufacturer’s Testing Permit – AVIM 2021-02
- Employer Pull Notice – AVIM 2021-03
- Credit Card Payment Options Now Available – AVIM 2021 04
- Employer Pull Notice (EPN) Reports AVIM 2022-01
- Removing Drivers and Vehicles from Permit AVIM 2022-02
- Online Payment Now Available for All Autonomous Vehicle Transactions AVIM 2022-03
Need something else?
Learn more about occupational licensing and find helpful resources.
Vehicle Industry Services
Learn more about vehicle industry services provided by DMV, including motor carrier services, autonomous vehicle regulations and testing, and the Business Partner Automation (BPA) program.
Email us if you have any questions about autonomous vehicles in California. We are here to help!